In this article I will show you how to configure Netbackup BMR option and how to perform restore activity on windows based server.
Symantec Netbackup 7.5 on Windows Server
Symantec Netbackup Client (BMR Soruce) on Windows Server
1. BMR Master Server is installed with Netbackup server installation. No other installation is required for BMR.
2. Run BMR Master Server wizard to confire BMR option.
3. Rest of the steps of BMR Master server configuration are simple click on next button to complete the process.
1. There is no need to install any component for Boot server. Boot server will be install with Netbackup client installation and with netbackup server installation.
2. In this example we will use boot services of Netbackup master server.
3. Open the command prompt and register boot server with BMR master server. Run the following command
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bmrsetupboot.exe -register
4. After successfully registered Boot server you can see name of Boot server in Netbackup console NetBackup Administrator >BMR> Boot Servers.
1. In Netbackup console create a new Backup policy for BMR.
2. Open the properties of new backup policy then go to attributes tab and mark check on Bare Metal Restore option.
3. In backup selection specify All_Local_Drives directive set.
4. After modification run manual backup job.
5. Check the status of backup and make sure that job is completed with status 0, otherwise correct the problem and run the backup job again
6. After successful competion of Backup job all information of server will be stored in BMR database and you can check this information in 'bare metal resotre client' in netbackup console.
1. Run Boot server assistance wizard to create new SRT (Shared resource tree).
2. Create windows based SRT (shared resource tree) for fast restore
3. Enter the name and location fro new SRT
4. Enter the location of Symantec Netbackup client installation files
5. After creating new SRT, take the properties of SRT and verify the attribute
6. rerun boot server assistance and create bootable CD/DVD from newly created shared resource tree.
7. Enter the location where you want to restore bootable ISO file.
8. Enter the name for the new media based SRT.
1. In netbackup console goto bare metal restore management -> select bare metal resotre client -> Select client then make a copy of machine configuration by selecting 'New client Configration'.
2. Go to network interface -> new network interface -> replace current MAC address with new machine MAC address.
3. Right click on new configuration and run prepare for restore option.
4. Select newly created configuration and SRT to prepare your server for restore.
5. Boot new computer with BMR bootable disk
6. Provide IP address information to contact the Netbackup master server
7. Select your source machine with modified configuration then start the restore process.
For complete detail of BMR administration please refer Symantec Netbackup Bare Metal Administration guide: