cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent on Debian VM (VCenter)

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to take the backup of Vcenter which has many Debian VM machines.

I am wondering if someone is taking backup of Debian 6.0.10 Linux server.local.lan 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue May 13 16:34:35 UTC 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux via symantec backup appliance 3600 R2  ? if you could answer the following questions ?

• Is the backup supporting GRT and have you tried restore the individual files ?
  • The SCL says "Debian does not support snapshot capabilities" however when I take the backup VCenter takes the snapshot. Any ideas what is this snapshot capabilities are ?
  • Is it necessary to have Root password authentication for the Linux ?I guess this password authentication is for GRT, isn't? . Actually I have disabled password authentication and only have key based authentication.

Lastly, what if I only want to take the backup of VMDK file, wanting to restore the full machine and don't need the capability of restoring individual files, would I still be requiring agent installation on debian and root authentication thing ?

Thanks in Advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

* GRT for non-windows VMs isn't supported when using the VMware agent. However, using the Remote Agent for Linux, you can backup the VM as a physical machine and also restore individual files/folders.

* The snapshot capability is being referred to when using the Remote Agent for Linux. In that case, Advanced Open File option is to be deselected.

* Preferably root yes (requires superuser privileges for backup/restore of Linux machines)

* As GRT isn't supported, you can backup the Linux VM without installing the remote agent on it. However, ESX or vCenter credentials which have access to the Linux VM is required.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

* GRT for non-windows VMs isn't supported when using the VMware agent. However, using the Remote Agent for Linux, you can backup the VM as a physical machine and also restore individual files/folders.

* The snapshot capability is being referred to when using the Remote Agent for Linux. In that case, Advanced Open File option is to be deselected.

* Preferably root yes (requires superuser privileges for backup/restore of Linux machines)

* As GRT isn't supported, you can backup the Linux VM without installing the remote agent on it. However, ESX or vCenter credentials which have access to the Linux VM is required.