cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance, desktops and laptops

Engineer_Ahmad
Level 3

Hi,

I know DLO is no longer a part of BE2012 and the Appliance 3600. I was wondering if I already have the appliance, what I would be able to do with current desktops and laptops in my enviroment. Will I be able to back them up as I would with servers, what are the limitations?

Any info is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Yes you would, but in most cases you would need the RAWS agent installed on your workstations you want to back up.

Windows XP and back (if you're still running Windows 2000 Professional) don't need the RAWS agent installed. From Windows VIsta and up you need a RAWS agent per workstation. This will allow you to backup what you want...refer to the TN below for confirmation:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124393

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

Yes you would, but in most cases you would need the RAWS agent installed on your workstations you want to back up.

Windows XP and back (if you're still running Windows 2000 Professional) don't need the RAWS agent installed. From Windows VIsta and up you need a RAWS agent per workstation. This will allow you to backup what you want...refer to the TN below for confirmation:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124393

Thanks!

Engineer_Ahmad
Level 3

Thanks for the answer.

So would you recommend having an appliance doing backups for 200 desktops for example. Note that DLO is not an option to consider as a hardware+software (appliance) solution is highly preferred.  The backups will be of data only and not systems.

CraigV

...you need to have a look at costing, and I don't think that an appliance  is quite a fit for your environment. RAWS agents for 200 desktops are going to cost the earth! literally...DLO might be more cost-effective, and you'd just need a bit of storage to cater for these backups.

Thanks!

Engineer_Ahmad
Level 3

DLO is out of the question as it's software only. Isn't the windows agent unlimited with the appliance? that would not be a problem for cost as I understand?

CraigV

You appear to be correct. Taken straight from the licensing guide:

"8. How is the appliance licensed? The Backup Exec 3600 Appliance is licensed per appliance. There are two Backup Exec 3600 Appliance Suites: Essential Protection Suite and Total Protection Suite. Each suite comes with either one or three years of bundled maintenance (Advanced System Replacement and 24 hours a day, seven days a week hardware and software support).
With a single license, users can utilize the full disk capacity of the appliance for protecting an unlimited number of source systems. The appliance licensing bundle also includes an unlimited number of selected Backup Exec Agents and Options that will optimize backup and recovery for all of the appliances' supported systems. To learn more and to download the Backup Exec 3600 Appliance licensing guide, please visit: www.backupexec.com/3600licensing."

...you might just want to confirm this with the licensing department of Symantec...

Thanks!