cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 3600 Upgrading: CASO first? or MMS?

JPoon
Level 4

Hello,

I am preparing to upgrading my 2 appliances: 1 CASO and 1 MMS, which one should I deal with first? CASO or MMS?

And anything I should back up beforehand, e.g. the whole Catalog directory, any job settings, etc.?

After the upgrade, do I need to perform on the appliance, i.e. Dedeplication disk,  the action "Inventory and Cataloging"?

Thanks,
Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

You'd have *.xml files in here. Check the other and see if this contains *.xml files, and if so, it might be an option to back up both.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

First you need upgrade CASO and then MMS.

Refer to the below forum thread.

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/backup-exec-3600-appliance-upgrade-2014

JPoon
Level 4

Thanks for your reply, AmolB.

1) Also, to play safe, do I need to backup anything first, e.g. the whole Catalog directory, any job settings, etc.?

2) After the upgrade, do I need to perform on the appliance, i.e. Dedeplication disk,  the action "Inventory and Cataloging"?

CraigV

You should always grab manual copies of the Data & Catalogs folders before doing any major upgrades. These 2 folders will allow you to recover Backup Exec if needed.

Thanks!

JPoon
Level 4

I know the catalogs folder resides in D:\BackupExec\Catalogs. But where is the Data folder that you are referring to?

CraigV

%InstallationDirectory\Data

Thanks!

JPoon
Level 4

I got 2 folders named Data, which one is the correct one?

1) D:\Application_Dedup\data <---actually my partition D's label is "Data" too

2) C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

Thanks.

CraigV

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

You'd have *.xml files in here. Check the other and see if this contains *.xml files, and if so, it might be an option to back up both.

Thanks!