cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Appliance 3600 - Editing a backup job brings up another another servers backup job

Rapgg
Level 3

Having an issue where I edit a backup job for server a, and it opens the backup job for server b. When telling server a to run its backup routine now, it asks whether I want to run the job for sometimes both server a, or even server b. I can't seem to be able to find a link between the jobs that would cause it to ask me.

This problem is affecting a number of jobs/resources but not all. Although its not the same case every time, I find that most of my servers seem to be getting confused or linked with the default backup job thats setup on the appliance when its first deployed (The job that backs up the BE Resources required to recover from a failure).

Not sure its related but also getting a silly problem where half the jobs Monthly backups (D2D2T) aren't running, and instead are displaying the "Ready; The Backup Exec server that the catalog requested is not available to process this job". I've run an inventory and Catalog on the Deduplication drive as well as run a Full D2D backup again but the job when restarted continues to display the error. The Monthly backup runs on the first Monday of each month and is set to backup the last full backup to tape (Which usually occurs over the weekend). The weekly backups to tape that are set to run directly after the full backup has completed runs fine. Haven't researched this much yet but hoping to get a point in the right direction or even a solution if possible.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do you have a CASO environment, and if so, where are the Data/Catalogs folders located?

Thanks!

Rapgg
Level 3

Hi CraigV

We do have a CASO environment. The jobs are being run on the same BE server that has the Catalogs.

CraigV

OK, the catalogs are located on either the local MMS or the CASO, or replicated. Check below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73652

Just see what your setup is like as per the TN and let me know.

Thanks!

Rapgg
Level 3

Hi CraigV,

Sorry, should of mentioned that the BEServer in question is the CASO server. It manages another server at a remote site as well which I haven't experienced the same issue with but it doesn't backup nearly the same amount of resources and in turn very rarely gets looked at, I'll have a play with it when I get a quick second to confirm whether its getting the same issues but at this point it looks to be native to the CASO BE Server.

The MMS is set to "Replicated" for the storage of the catalogs

CraigV

Hi,

No worries...so on Server A (CASO) you are opening up Server B's jobs (MMS)? Is this correct?

If so is there any duplication between the MMS and CASO involvd?

thanks!

Rapgg
Level 3

On Server A (CASO) Im opening up a local backup job (Setup on CASO, not the MMS) which is giving me the mentioned problem. The MMS at this point in time looks to be working without the issue being experienced on the CASO.

The link between the two Backup Servers is a 10mb synchronous internet link as its at another site/city. There is no sharing of storage due to the poor link speed. Catalogs are shared between the two servers but the media sets live locally on that sites deduplication storage or tapes. The CASO has all the backup jobs setup on it and initiates said jobs.

Hope this makes sense?

CraigV

That makes sense...but it's weird. I would understand that if it was a job delegated from the CAS to the MMS.

Have you opened up BEutility.exe and repaired the BEDB on the CAS server?

Thanks!