cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE3600 R2 - BE 2014 (SP2) GRT Restore of Exchange 2003 Mailbox Items

Paul_Kroker
Level 3

I have a BE3600 R2 Appliance Running Backup Exec 2014, Ver 14.1 Rev 1786 64 bit.
And a target Server: Exchange 2003 SP2, with Agent 14.1.1.1786.1103
Target Server is a VM, running on vSphere 5.5 with vCenter.

I backup the server via the VMWare Agent with GRT enabled.  I am able to restore individual files with no issues. When I try to restore a Exchange Mailbox Item from the same Backup set I get the following:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

I am able to fully see Exchange server Storage Group in the backup set, I am able to see all mailboxes, and all their contents.

I can't say for certain when this broke, and I've certanly used it sucessfully many times in the past before I upgraded my appliance to BE 2014.  I've come across countless of articles regarding error 0xe00002f7 but none of them relate to BE 2014. Hoping somebody else has run into something similiar.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...just checked the BE 2014 SCL and it doesn't show Exchange 2003 at all.

So your other option is a bit more long-winded, but you'd duplicate the Information Store to disk to get the *.edb file. Once done, look at using an application like Kernel for Exchange (you need to purchase it!) to crack open the Exchange *.edb and restore what you need too.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

...when you backup Exchange via GRT, it needs to stage the entire Exchange Information Store to disk. THis location by default is C:\Temp. You need enough free disk space on the C:\ drive as your Information Store is big. If you don't, the restore fails.

Just check this, and if you don't have enough disk space, you can change this within BE to point to a drive that will allow you to temporarily stage the IS.

Thanks!

Paul_Kroker
Level 3

Hi CraigV

That answer makes perfect sense. The staging was set to C:\temp and there was only 12 GB left on that drive. The Store is about 50GB.  On this appliance D:\ has about 3 TB free, but no mater what I set it to in the GRT configuration, as the restore job runs, the server keeps dumping its stuff into to C:\Temp. 

Thanks

CraigV

OK then it is as I suspected. Don't set this on the job itself...there is a setting under the global options within BE itself that you need to check out.

Thanks!

Paul_Kroker
Level 3

No what I meant is I have changed the path(s) in the global options within BE (even rebooted the appliance)and it still keeps staging to c:\temp ( observed both directories while the restore job was happening and it's totally ignoring that setting).

CraigV

...is the appliance fully patched? The BE 3600 R3 appliance image is out as well which is the latest supported version.

What path have you chosen?

Thanks!

Paul_Kroker
Level 3

My appliance is an R2, i didn't hink i could move it to R3.

Appliance is fuly patched, BE 2014 SP2 + hotfix 227745.

I have a support ticket open, maybe thisis a known issue with this build.

CraigV

Could be, report back with an update.

Thanks!

Paul_Kroker
Level 3

Essentially Symantec told me to go pound sand.  They say BE 2014 doesn't oficially support Exchange 2003, so restores might or might not work,  and they don't have any technical documentation so cannot help me.

Typical Symantec.

CraigV

...just checked the BE 2014 SCL and it doesn't show Exchange 2003 at all.

So your other option is a bit more long-winded, but you'd duplicate the Information Store to disk to get the *.edb file. Once done, look at using an application like Kernel for Exchange (you need to purchase it!) to crack open the Exchange *.edb and restore what you need too.

Thanks!