cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up VM from Vcenter

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

Hi All,

I am trying to backup virtual machine via Vcenter but getting the following errors. Could someone help me ?

Backup- VMVCB::\\server.ABC.lan\VCGuestVm\(DC)ABC(DC)\vm\Support-work.ABC.lanV-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

Exceptions 

Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- VMVCB::\\server.abc.lan\VCGuestVm\(DC)ABC(DC)\vm\Support-work.abc.lanV-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec failed to collect the necessary metadata for virtual machine '\(DC)ABC(DC)\vm\Support-work.ABC.lan' to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

This is probably not a backupexec issue, but a misconfiguration in vcenter.

Are all the path's to the storage correct in Vcenter / ESX?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) What version of ESX are you using?  Check the SCL below to make sure that it is supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1328840673344

2) Are you using a paid version of ESX?  This is required because BE requires VADP which only comes with the paid version of ESX.

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

Hi Pkt,

Yes I have the paid version of Esxi.

I am using Esxi 5.1, I have four instances of Esxi 5.1 and they are running in V-center environment.

I am trying to backup the VM from V-center and the error which I got is above in my post. When I tried to take the backup via Esxi, it complained that the Esxi is running under some V-Center so access/take backup via V-center. 

Regards

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

The Error Code which I got is E0009585.

lmosla
Level 6

Do you have the vmware agent license installed on the media server and the remote agent pushed out to the virtual machine?  

Go through this document and verify the permissions are all in place for backing up virtual machines.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129645

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

This is probably not a backupexec issue, but a misconfiguration in vcenter.

Are all the path's to the storage correct in Vcenter / ESX?

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

Actually the Appliance doesn't have the access to the DNS for ESX hosts. Once it got the esx hostname resolved in to IP, it started working !

Thanks