cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Encryption Overhead

BibblemyWibble1
Level 3

Hi

We are testing backup encription using BUE 2012 3600 appliance and are noticing some significant overheads of the encryption.

Can anyone advise it there and any published statistics of what overhead is realisitc.

Applaince is:

Windows 2008 Server

BUE 2012 with SP2 installed

4 CPU

16GB RAM

4 x 1GB NIC but with only 1 in use

Attached HP MSL 2024 tape library SAS attached

Out test results to local appliance disk are as below:

Job type – D2D

Time mins

Throughput mps

%Overhead

Non encrypted or compressed

Encrypted – Software compression – 25gb – small files – disk1

+45.8

Encrypted – No compression – 25gb – small files – disk1

+6.16

Not Encrypted – Software compression – 25gb – small files – disk1

Not Encrypted – No compression – 25gb – small files – disk1

Job type – Duplicate to tape

Time mins

Throughput mps

%Overhead

Non encrypted or compressed

Encrypted – Software compression

+255

Encrypted – No compression

+248

Not Encrypted – Software compression

+35

Not Encrypted – No compression

Any thoughts or documentation (other than admin guide) would be appriciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you encrypt your backups, there is definitely overheads and it can be significant.  This is why you should use encryption sparingly.  I only encrypt the backups that goes off-site.

You should always use either software encryption and software compression or hardware encryption and hardware compression.  Do not mix software encryption with hardware compression or hardware encryption with software compression.  If you are using LTO4 tapes, then you can use hardware encryption and hardware compression when you backup to tapes.

If you are backing up to the appliance internal harddisk which is a dedup folder, then you should not use any encryption or compression as these dedup badly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I haven't seen anything on the Symantec site or in the admin guide around this...I suspect it is going to be very technical and therefore doesn't warrant inclusion.

I'd suggest logging a call with Symantec around this, and then reporting back with the information for anybody else looking for it in future.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you encrypt your backups, there is definitely overheads and it can be significant.  This is why you should use encryption sparingly.  I only encrypt the backups that goes off-site.

You should always use either software encryption and software compression or hardware encryption and hardware compression.  Do not mix software encryption with hardware compression or hardware encryption with software compression.  If you are using LTO4 tapes, then you can use hardware encryption and hardware compression when you backup to tapes.

If you are backing up to the appliance internal harddisk which is a dedup folder, then you should not use any encryption or compression as these dedup badly.