cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 cannot detect the Dell TL 2000 Media Changer

Dear All, 

I owned a backup exec 3600 appliance and have configured a tape out to Dell TL2000 tape library. 

recently the BE reported that one of the tape drive malfunctioned. and I got dell to replace the problematic drive. 

unfortunately the problem worsen ... now even the whole tape labrary (media changer) cannot be detected. 

I got the whole chasis and both tape drive replaced and still cannot detect the media changer ? 

what might be the issues? 

my backup exec is Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

...swop them around and check

...swop them around and check again.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hi,   So the appliance is a

Hi,

 

So the appliance is a seriously locked down unit...if you can get to Device Manager, does Windows see the device? If not, fix that issue because what Windows sees, BE sees.

That said, there should be tapeinst.exe that you can run which will allow you to install the Symantec tape drivers. Do so and then check BE again.

Thanks!

actually i am able to access

actually i am able to access the windows login ... 

i can see the tape drive in the device manager .. but according to dell engineer there should be a media changer also show up .. 

unfortunately .. that one is not show up ... als o i have run the mentioned tapeinst.exe and restart the appliance ... still to no available. 

see attached for the screen shots 

...the fact that the robotics

...the fact that the robotics doesn't show up in Device Manager points to an issue with Windows seeing it. This isn't a BE problem.

Check your connection to the library, and reboot the appliance or rescan for new hardware changes.

Thanks!

i agreed ... so i took the

i agreed ... so i took the following photos of the cabling work ... 

 

but wierd things is .. why is the tape drive itself detected ? and not the chasis ? 

 

please help as dell are pretty sure it wasn't the libary issues .. while i am now entirely sit on my own hands. 

...and it is cabled like it

...and it is cabled like it was originally?

actually that is my question

actually that is my question ... is cabling like this correct ? 

according to dell engineer .. bottom one is drive 1 top is drive two ... 

and the connection method is  

symantec account mgr wrote : 

SAS0 –> DRIVE 1 Port A

SAS1 –> DRIVE 2 Port A

etc ... 

not too remember the original cabling method .. as this shot is taken after they change everything .. so i have doubt as well 

this is the message from the tapeinst.exe 

Finding tape devices
Finding plug and play tape device names
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULT3580-HH5_____D8D5
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULT3580-HH5_____D8D5
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULT3580-HH5_____D8D5
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialIBM_____ULT3580-HH5_____D8D5
Finding IDE plug and play device instances
Finding SCSI plug and play device instances
Finding Symantec device drivers
Hardware scan complete.

 

 

Accepted Solution!

...swop them around and check

...swop them around and check again.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

wow ... after a few rounds of

wow ... after a few rounds of trial and error i finally got the correct sequence ... 

 

drive 1 (TOP) 

SAS 0 :: PORT A 

SAS 2 :: PORT B 

 

drive 2 (bottom)

SAS 1 :: PORT A 

SAS 3 :: PORT B

 

thanks CraigV .. very good advice indeed.

No worries, happened to me

No worries, happened to me too where i didn't mark the cables or take note of them, so I have the necessary experience with this, albeit trying to trace 4 x FC cables under a floor between 2 switches and an MSL6060...

Thanks!