cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 sp2 Deduplication

FrankieQuebec
Level 3

HI

I bought 2 Backup Exec 3600 apliances to replace my actual Backup Exec server.  For the first time I will use Deduplication.  One box will be on the main site an the other one to the remote site for replication

I will use tapes for long-term data retention

what are your advice on the frequence of the incremental/differentials and full backups?

How deduplication will works for the DAG? will it be client side deduplication or not?

Do you have any recommandations

my environment is composed of

• SQL Server,
  • Exchange 2010 SP3 Dag,
  • Enterprise Vault Server,
  • Windows File Server,
  • Sharepoint
  • Windows 2008 active directory server
  • VmWare 5.1 servers
  • few servers has volume (drive) connected to an ISCSI Equallogic SAN; those are backup up with Backup EXec and I want to be able to use deduplication on them

thanks for your answer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited
hi Frankie,

You covered entire domain backup design, by posting to forum ,(this is generally done by certified partners or symantec team who did implementations or your inhouse backup architect). 

From forum, we could guide you to best practises, however best practise needs to be tuned based on environments.

Have a look at best practises for all agents within BE 2012 (same is applicable to Appliances as well)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74626

As far as Dedupe is concerned, It works at Client and Media Server both end. It does benefits max on Exchange, SharePoint, File Servers, Virtualized environments (VMware and Hyper-V). On Database as well it works, but ratio are less compared to above listed.

Retention and frequency is something what Business and compliance defines, as it also differs from industry segments

Generally for 
Daily Incremental/Differential  - 1 Week
Weekly Fulls - 1 Month
Monthly Fulls - 3/6/12 Months
Yearly Fulls - 3/5/7/10 Years

Please study and consider amount of front end data to be protected as with retention you would end up appliance being filled up with backups and still new backups are queued up. So design your architect accordingly.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited
hi Frankie,

You covered entire domain backup design, by posting to forum ,(this is generally done by certified partners or symantec team who did implementations or your inhouse backup architect). 

From forum, we could guide you to best practises, however best practise needs to be tuned based on environments.

Have a look at best practises for all agents within BE 2012 (same is applicable to Appliances as well)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74626

As far as Dedupe is concerned, It works at Client and Media Server both end. It does benefits max on Exchange, SharePoint, File Servers, Virtualized environments (VMware and Hyper-V). On Database as well it works, but ratio are less compared to above listed.

Retention and frequency is something what Business and compliance defines, as it also differs from industry segments

Generally for 
Daily Incremental/Differential  - 1 Week
Weekly Fulls - 1 Month
Monthly Fulls - 3/6/12 Months
Yearly Fulls - 3/5/7/10 Years

Please study and consider amount of front end data to be protected as with retention you would end up appliance being filled up with backups and still new backups are queued up. So design your architect accordingly.

Hope this helps

FrankieQuebec
Level 3

Thanks yes it's helps

have a nice day

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Frankie

If post was helpful pls mark it as solved to close thread. Also if it was resourceful kindly mark it as helpful :)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...please rather PM the OP about closing forum queries. Otherwise PM an admin or TA for assistance if the OP doesn't respond.

Thanks!