Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 + vmware backup + pre post commands

kml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

i have to run pre/post commands for vmware backups with Backup Exec 2012 (simple commands like net stop and net start)

As far as i know pre and post commands do not apply to vmware backups so i have to use pre-freeze and post-thaw but i'm completly lost.

Do i have to clear all the contents of those files and put only my commands ? Do i have to put my commands at the end of the file ?

Where do i have to put those scripts (i use esx 5) ? I can find it here c:\Program Files\VMware\VMwareTools\backupScipts.d and also on the backup exec install directory.

I can't find clear explanation about that, so thanks for your help !

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As far as i know pre and post commands do not apply to vmware backups

No.  You can can use pre- and post-commands for any job.

RogerR
Level 3
Employee

To use pre / post commands for VM backups please do the following:

Edit the pre-freeze-script.bat and post-thaw-script.bat inside the VM and add your commands. These two files are found in ether or both of these paths:  C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\VSS Provider or C:\WINDOWS.

When the VMware snaphot request is made the VMware tools call these files, hence they can be used for other required commands although will contain some BE commands

I would suggest putting your commands near the start of the Pre- freeze file and near the end of the Post-thaw-script file. This would ensure that in case you shut down a database as example any VSS changes happen whilst that application is stopped.

Make sure you only editing the files after you have installed the Backup Exec Remote Agent as this install does change these files.

No need to add anything to the pre and post section in the backup job properties