cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

Hi,

We have backup exec 2012 running in our environment, we have tape as storage. During the weekend the full backup of all machines/servers takes more than 48 hours, we are taking the backup directly on tape. What I want is to take the backup on the appliance storage and then transfer that backup to tape !!

If I achieve this, following would be in our possession, correct me if I am wrong !!

1)It will bring down the time taken  by full backup. 

2) the full backup will be redundunt, i.e. on tape and on appliance.

3) If we get a restore request we would not be required to bring the tape from remote location and insert it to tape drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Ideally you should be using the appliance's dedupe store first, because this is what it is designed for. Taking it to tape means you've actually skipped this ability.

1. What you need to do is change the target for the backup to the dedupe folder. Let this run. the first backup will be the longest, with subsequent backups taking less time, especially if you can retain more data on disk. You'd then need to put in a stage to duplicate-to-tape. Bear in mind that when you duplicate to tape from the dedupe store you're going to be rehydrating your data to the original size. Deduped data cannot be stored on tape in its deduped state.

2. Yes...your primary backup and restore location should be disk, with longer retention on tape.

3. Yes, and no. If you are able to retain more data on disk you're able to restore from there. This is going to be faster too. Your tape ideally is for longer retention times, and you'd restore from tape when the data is no longer available on disk.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

Ideally you should be using the appliance's dedupe store first, because this is what it is designed for. Taking it to tape means you've actually skipped this ability.

1. What you need to do is change the target for the backup to the dedupe folder. Let this run. the first backup will be the longest, with subsequent backups taking less time, especially if you can retain more data on disk. You'd then need to put in a stage to duplicate-to-tape. Bear in mind that when you duplicate to tape from the dedupe store you're going to be rehydrating your data to the original size. Deduped data cannot be stored on tape in its deduped state.

2. Yes...your primary backup and restore location should be disk, with longer retention on tape.

3. Yes, and no. If you are able to retain more data on disk you're able to restore from there. This is going to be faster too. Your tape ideally is for longer retention times, and you'd restore from tape when the data is no longer available on disk.

Thanks!

ecnivnaj
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi..

1)It will bring down the time taken  by full backup. 

*Yes, eventually it will. The longest backup will be the first and the succeeding will be took less time.

2) the full backup will be redundunt, i.e. on tape and on appliance.

*Correct, you will have a full, incremental or any method of backup to tape and dedup disk.

3) If we get a restore request we would not be required to bring the tape from remote location and insert it to tape drive.

*Correct, you dont need the tape if you need to restore files etc. as long as it exist and not overwritten in the disk storage, as craig mentioned above it will be based on how long you keep retentions to disk and to tape.

Thanks

CraigV

Hi,

This was answered in the post above.

Thanks!