Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and CASO licenses

Cesar_Vieira1
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to know the requirements I need for the following scenario:

I have one BE3600 Appliance with CASO license installed.

I have a remote BE2014 Server with it's license and has an FC Library attached to it and one Windows Agent.

What I what to do is:

On the Appliance, share the deduplication storage to the managed server. (I will apply a deduplication agent on the remote BE managed server so I can share the deduplication storage).

I need to backup 2 Hyper-V Virtual Machines to the deduplication storage and then duplicate to the FC Library on the managed server.

Since I can't create the job to de done on the Appliance and then to duplicate to the managed server, because both source and target devices must be acessible from the same server, and I can't access FC Library from the Appliance, the idea is using the shared dedup storage on the managed server and duplicate the backup to the FC Library, since this way it will work because the managed server accesses both dedup folder and FC Library I don't see any issues, besides the doubt I have that is about managed server licensing...

For the scenario I describe above, the actual job is done on the managed server, which don't have the Hyper-V licences... This can be done this way, using the "Full Licenses" the appliance has installed, and since we created the job on the CASO, or do I really need the agent licenses also on the managed server?

I see CASO functioning "only" to distribute the load over many managed servers and all managed servers need to have the licenses of the backups configured, but I might be confused.

Can anyone clarify me on this subject?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if the remote server will be backing up Hyper-V, then you need a Hyper-V agent on it.

The appliance should have this license already. Why not just backup Hyper-V to the appliance, and then create a stage to duplicate to the MMS server's FC tape drive?

The fact that you can't see the library might be that you don't have your catalogs centralised...check the TN below for more information on catalogs in a CASO environment:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23395

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV

Hi,

You don't need the Hyper-V agent on the remote server at all. No Hyper-V is involved on that side, and your primary backups are being done on the appliance which has the Hyper-V agent.

All the remote server is being used for is to handle the secondary dedupe storage which will be duplicated too, and then duplicate that off to tape.

Thanks!

Cesar_Vieira1
Level 3

Hi,

I don't have a secondary dedup storage. The dedup storage is the appliance, which I share to the managed server.

I can't backup directly from the Appliance to the FC Library. When I create a server pool it always uses the managed server to do the job to FC Library.

And the same goes for the dedupe and duplicate backup. If I choose the appliance the FC Library doesn't even appear on the selection of the appliance, only on the managed server. And if I choose appliance for dedupe and duplicate to FC Library it doesn't even let me close the job wizard, it tells that the source server must have access to both targets (dedupe and FC), and the appliance doesn't have that.

So, the only way I can actually have the same source is to backup up from the managed server to the shared dedupe and then duplicate to its FC Library, and for a regular job this works fine, but if I want to make some SQL/Exchange/Hyper-V backups, doesn't I need the respective licenses on the manager server?

I hope this explanation is a bit more comphreensive :)

CraigV

...if the remote server will be backing up Hyper-V, then you need a Hyper-V agent on it.

The appliance should have this license already. Why not just backup Hyper-V to the appliance, and then create a stage to duplicate to the MMS server's FC tape drive?

The fact that you can't see the library might be that you don't have your catalogs centralised...check the TN below for more information on catalogs in a CASO environment:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23395

Cesar_Vieira1
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact I have CASO with catalogs centralized and I see the library, but associated to the managed server and not to the appliance.

And when I try to do what you mention, backup of the Hyper-V on the appliance to dedup, and then duplicate to the FC Library, the wizard tells me that the source (appliance) doesn't access both targets (dedup and FC Liibrary), because it really can't access the FC Library.

And that's the reason I have to do the backups on the managed server.

Correct my if I'm wrong :)

CraigV

You won't se the library associated with the appliance, so this is correct.

The only way to check this out is to invoke the Hyper-V agent on the MMS, and then resubmit the job to see if it can do what you want it too.

Thanks!

Cesar_Vieira1
Level 3

Well, what I managed to do is:

On the CASO I created a server pool with the appliance and the BEMS. I shared the appliance deduplication storage to the BEMS.

I created the job on the CASO so I backup to the shared disk storage (available on BEMS) and duplicate the backup to the FC library (available only on BEMS).

The job went well, but my question is this, the licenses I have currently installed are:

On the Appliance - BE Appliance License and Enterprise Server Option.

On the BEMS - BE on trial (I just have Library Expansion Option), Deduplication license and no additional agents installed.

Since I have BE on trial on BEMS I can actually do any job without having to worry about licenses (for now). But when the trial expires will I be able to backup the VMware servers (VM's) I have? Without any license on BEMS...

Or on the other hand, I'll have to buy those additional licenses?

CraigV

...if your primary backup is on the MMS then you need the AVVI license. But you have 60 days in which to trial the backups, so have enough time to buy production licenses if required.

Thanks!

Cesar_Vieira1
Level 3

I think I can say the BEMS it's the primary, since only the BEMS can actually access both storage and FC Library.

Even when I choose the server pool, the backup is always done on the BEMS, never on the appliance.

So, it seems my thoughts about the need to buy the licenses for the BEMS confirms :(

Thanks for your explanation on the "issue" ;)