cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 3600 and Vmware Workstation

marklar
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

I've searched everywhere and can't find an answer to my questions about the BE3600. Does anybody know:

1) Will the appliance backup VMware Player, Workstation and MS Virtual PC 2007 VMs that sit on top of Windows 2003/2008 Servers?

2) Can we restore a physical server to a VM ON the appliance itself or do we need a standby server to do this? We do not have any ESXi hosts, we only use VMWare Workstation, VMWare Player and VirtualPC 2007 so that would be our only option available to restore to at this point in time.

*I realize these aren't the best virtual platforms to restore to, but these are non-critical systems running in the VMs but we still want to be able to protect and restore them.

3) If a failed physical server is restored to a VM and we rebuild or replace hardware in the failed physical server, can we then restore the data contained in the VM back to the physical machine once it's brought back up?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jay,

1. No. BE will only support VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V...Player, Workstation and Virtual PC are not on the SCL. You might be able to backup the VMs but only using the RAWS agent.

2. No you can't restore to the appliance as it is a backup target only. You'd need to create a new VM on whatever VM platform you need it on, and then restore on a file-level.

3. Shouldn't be a hassle to do it this way...

Any further in-depth questions and Symantec would be able to help.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jay,

1. No. BE will only support VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V...Player, Workstation and Virtual PC are not on the SCL. You might be able to backup the VMs but only using the RAWS agent.

2. No you can't restore to the appliance as it is a backup target only. You'd need to create a new VM on whatever VM platform you need it on, and then restore on a file-level.

3. Shouldn't be a hassle to do it this way...

Any further in-depth questions and Symantec would be able to help.

Thanks!

marklar
Level 2

Wow, that's really a shame! All the data is right there on the local appliance, and it's a Windows Server so that's a pretty big limitation. Imagine how fast you could stand-up a VM using the local disks!

Also a huge bummer on the VM platforms supported..companies use Workstation all the time for dev environments and situations where dedicating production resources isn't feasible.

Are there products out there that CAN backup/restore Workstation at least?

Thank you very much for your help..I guess I'm a bit shocked at the limitations of that appliance, or maybe I just expected too much out of them.

Jay