cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CASO Server Down/Unavailable

Fergieman
Level 4

Hello

I have 2 3600 appliances in my company. Both in different sites.

We are backing up servers locally to each and duplicating jobs between both devices.

One of the servers is also licensed with the enterprise server option (CASO).

My problem is that my appliance running the CASO license has fallen over and died.

The other appliance is running fine , however all the backupexec services have stopped on it and we cannot connected to it.

How can I move my enterprise server option license to this MMS server and start recovering/backing up again ?

Regards

F

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Problem is that the BEDB on the surviving appliance is probably still pointing to the CASO.

Check the steps below to edit out the CASO's details on the server's registry (if you can):

regedit.exe --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Symantec --> Backup Exec and look for a key called Database Server. Change the server name in there from your CASO to the MMS. Restart the MMS services thereafter.

Once done, I would assume you can then install the CASO license.

I've done this on numerous occassions with BE itself when the CASO died causing issues on MMS servers.

Just create a backup of the registry first.

Thanks!

Fergieman
Level 4
Thanks Craig If I remove the CASO reg , and point back at itsself - can I restore files etc before I install the CASO license. BAsically , what Im saying is if I can use the MMS on its own while I restore the original CASO and once it comes back up , change/import the registry back to its originial setting ?

CraigV

I've never had a problem restoring after doing the above...i wouldn't import registry settings again personally. Just redo the CASO setup to make sure it is done properly.

Thanks!

Fergieman
Level 4
thanks Craig. I tested that and I was able to launch the MMS on its own which I wasnt able to do before. Brilliant. The only issue I have now is that I don't see a lot of server backup jobs which should of been duplicated from my CASO to the MMS. Do I need to change anything else ? Thanks.

CraigV

No you don't. Don't forget it is now looking at the internal database in order to get jobs working again, so it won't have a record of the duplicated jobs. If the CASO was simply pushing the jobs centrally to the MMS then chances are they won't be stored on the MMS.

Thanks!

Fergieman
Level 4
Thanks Craig Has this got anything to do with the catalogue settings (replicated/distributed/centralized) ?

CraigV

Hi Fergie,

yes it does...read up on these settings below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO12297

Thanks!

Fergieman
Level 4
Ok , it was set to centralized. Do I need it to be either replicated or distributed so that I can restore jobs from the MMS should the CASO be offline/dead etc ? To clarify , these jobs ran originally on the CASO but the jobs were duplicated to the MMS after completion.

CraigV

If your line is good enough, Replicated would be good, but you need to read the TN I posted and make sure you understand what each does. You need a pretty good link to do Replicated/Centralized which is seems you do.

The good thing is that Replicated means your MMS shouldn't go down if the CASO does.

Thanks!

Fergieman
Level 4
ah , ok - that's news to me. If I have it set as replicated , the MMS will function without the CASO being on line or the need to edit the registry on the MMS server

CraigV

No, you shouldn't have too...the MMS should continue working. All it is doing is copying the necessary information between the CASO and MMS...

Fergieman
Level 4
so my thinking is right - i should be able to restore any jobs which has duplicated to my MMS and restore then now the catalogues are set to replicate.

Fergieman
Level 4
No , ive tried this again - and I had to edit the reg key of the database server name before the services on the MMS server would restart

Fergieman
Level 4
I can see the machines now - but when I select the VM machine it says query failed