cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedupe Media ran out of space

bostedor
Not applicable

We ran out of space on our dedupe media because the retention length was 1 year and we couldn't fit 1 years worth of data on the drive.  How can I manually expire all of the backup sets on the hard drive so that I can start re-using space on it again?  

I know that I can manually delete backup sets one by one but that takes FOREVER to free up a few gigs worth of space.  

I followed the instructions at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130103 but that doesn't help much and also took about 24 hours to complete.

We bought this softwarelast year to replace a piece of crap backup solution and I am not feeling like I have any better of a product than I had before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...other than that TN you linked too, I can only suggest taking a look at your retention times and set them so that you retain your data for less.

Other options would include buying a second appliance (cost-wise not a good option); looking at what data you're backing up and trying to exclude files not required; or connecting a SAS tape drive and duplicating to tape which would allow longer retention on tape, but not disk.

Lastly...you should have support with your appliance. If you don't come right, log a call with Symantec and when/if they assist you, post back here with an update.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...other than that TN you linked too, I can only suggest taking a look at your retention times and set them so that you retain your data for less.

Other options would include buying a second appliance (cost-wise not a good option); looking at what data you're backing up and trying to exclude files not required; or connecting a SAS tape drive and duplicating to tape which would allow longer retention on tape, but not disk.

Lastly...you should have support with your appliance. If you don't come right, log a call with Symantec and when/if they assist you, post back here with an update.

Thanks!