cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedupe performance

Joseph_Lai
Level 4

A few question on dedupe:

1) What is the client requirement to use client-side dedupe? e.g. can a client w/ 2GB RAM do client-side dedupe? Do I need to set anything on the Remote Agent on the client?

2) I ran the same full backup to dedupe storage job two times in a roll. It is a files backup job. The 1st job took 11 min and 2nd job took 18 min. Isn't that dedupe supposed to copy the changed block only? I would expect the 2nd job complete very quickly but it is not? Am I mis-understanding the concept here? (but differential job seems very quick sometimes)

3) Should I enable Advanced Open File for dedupe backup jobs? For File/SQL/Exchange? Will it affect performance?

I'm new to this dedupe thing and trying to understand more. 

Thanks all.

Joseph.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
1) What is the client requirement to use client-side dedupe? e.g. can a client w/ 2GB RAM do client-side dedupe? Do I need to set anything on the Remote Agent on the client? Yes server with 2gb ram can do client side dedupe however deduplication is process where if you do a full or incremental it will run backup normal way and process that data so that if there are duplicates it creates pointers and does not copy all the data to dedupe folder...this processing done in real time hence it requires more memory...more ram better is the performance... 2) I ran the same full backup to dedupe storage job two times in a roll. It is a files backup job. The 1st job took 11 min and 2nd job took 18 min. Isn't that dedupe supposed to copy the changed block only? I would expect the 2nd job complete very quickly but it is not? Am I mis-understanding the concept here? (but differential job seems very quick sometimes) As I stated above dedupe is not process where it copies only change blocks it does back up normally and processes that data and creates pointers to duplicate data in dedupe folder....now if you have verify selected for this job data needs to be rehydrated (original form) in order to verify thus taking more time to complete...recommended to run duplicates in off hours... 3) Should I enable Advanced Open File for dedupe backup jobs? For File/SQL/Exchange? Will it affect performance? It doesnt make a difference if you enable aofo or not By default exchange 2007 and above backups are snapshot backups for exchange 2003 we dont recommend using aofo.... Hope this answers your question

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
1) What is the client requirement to use client-side dedupe? e.g. can a client w/ 2GB RAM do client-side dedupe? Do I need to set anything on the Remote Agent on the client? Yes server with 2gb ram can do client side dedupe however deduplication is process where if you do a full or incremental it will run backup normal way and process that data so that if there are duplicates it creates pointers and does not copy all the data to dedupe folder...this processing done in real time hence it requires more memory...more ram better is the performance... 2) I ran the same full backup to dedupe storage job two times in a roll. It is a files backup job. The 1st job took 11 min and 2nd job took 18 min. Isn't that dedupe supposed to copy the changed block only? I would expect the 2nd job complete very quickly but it is not? Am I mis-understanding the concept here? (but differential job seems very quick sometimes) As I stated above dedupe is not process where it copies only change blocks it does back up normally and processes that data and creates pointers to duplicate data in dedupe folder....now if you have verify selected for this job data needs to be rehydrated (original form) in order to verify thus taking more time to complete...recommended to run duplicates in off hours... 3) Should I enable Advanced Open File for dedupe backup jobs? For File/SQL/Exchange? Will it affect performance? It doesnt make a difference if you enable aofo or not By default exchange 2007 and above backups are snapshot backups for exchange 2003 we dont recommend using aofo.... Hope this answers your question

Joseph_Lai
Level 4

Hi Mus Seth,

Thank you for your time to answer my questions in details. 

So in short, can I say: deduplication will save storage space, but not necessary faster??

Thanks!

Joseph

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes...the more you run your dedupe job and retain data for longer, the better the dedupe ratio and disk utilisation. Dedupe is about that, not about performance for the most part.

Thanks!