Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default "Disaster Job" in BE Exec 3600 appliance

Holloween
Level 4
Accredited

Dear community,

I am being posed by my customer a question which I am unable to answer. Would appreciate if anyone can help me out with this question.

Question:

1. In the Backup exec console, there is a default "Disaster backup" job set up by Symantec. (Cant remember the exact name of the job. It says DO_NOT_MODIFY.) What is this job for?

2. Imagine this scenario. There is only 1 production site. All servers are backed up to the appliance. What happens if the appliance goes down? Is there anyway to retrieve the backup data in the appliance?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

1. In the Backup exec console, there is a default "Disaster backup" job set up by Symantec. (Cant remember the exact name of the job. It says DO_NOT_MODIFY.) What is this job for?

Ans:

That is the default job which takes the backup of backup exec database (BEDB).

2. Imagine this scenario. There is only 1 production site. All servers are backed up to the appliance. What happens if the appliance goes down? Is there anyway to retrieve the backup data in the appliance?

Ans

It is unpredictable depending on the nature of cause for failure on the appliance. Drives are Raid configured so at some extent it has it own fault toelrant capabilities to prevent a disaster itself

Moroever you can read admin guide on disaster recovery part which covers more details

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Ans:

That is the default job which takes the backup of backup exec database (BEDB).

Ans

It is unpredictable depending on the nature of cause for failure on the appliance. Drives are Raid configured so at some extent it has it own fault toelrant capabilities to prevent a disaster itself

Moroever you can read admin guide on disaster recovery part which covers more details

Hope that helps

Thanks

Holloween
Level 4
Accredited

Understood.

May I know what is the function of the backup exec database (BEDB)? 
What is it used for?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

The BEDB is used by Backup Exec to store configuration information, job history etc. Without it, Backup Exec doesn't work.

Thanks!

Holloween
Level 4
Accredited

Thanks Sameer and CraigV for your answers. Both advice has helped me but I am unable to mark both as solution.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...RAID plays no part when the device dies. The question wasn't whether a drive fails, what happens then. The question was what happens if the appliance dies?

The answer is that unless the data has been streamed off to tape, or duplicated elsewhere, the data is lost in a worst-case scenario.

RAID only plays a role with 1 drive failure, considering the appliance is set up with RAID5. Lose 1 drive, you have degraded performance. Lose 2, and your data is lost.

bajohnson80
Level 2

I have this job on my BE 3600 Appliance and when I ran it to my NAS it took it 10 hours to run i think something is wrong. I looked at the log and it has all kinds of volume shadow copys on it 450 gigs worth which what took the amount of time to copy. I can't find a way to reduce this number so my job will run quickly.