cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate to tape "Rule Blocked"

vaux5566
Level 2

I setup my 3600 to backup a server full / Incrim for a few months just to dedupe  locally now a tape is being required so I installed a quantum ulta 5 half height tape library. (no updates available on the 3600 I am on 2012 SP4 with all the latest hotfix's)

Ensured it is on the latest FW, did a full diagnostic via quantums propriertery software, ensured the hba was also on its latest firmware/driver ( I did this after when troubleshooting). Connected the tape drive and installed it via adding a tape drive in storage and used the symantec drivers.

I then proceeded to modify the rule for the server I am backing up to dupelicate to tape and with all backups selected, then with most recent full backup to which I got a  running job then back to scheduled with nothing else

I tried a one off backup job and it worked....

I then created a new job with the same settings and deleted the old job I now get a rule blocked. I then proceeded to disable/hold every other job and clean out every old job, recoverys etc.... and tried it again still rule blocked I then changed the full backup to yearly removed inc and the tape to yearly and set it 6 months apart still rule blocked.

to note I am trying to backup lotus DB only not exchange and I only have 2GB lleft on dedupe/disks I am at my 500gb reserve, so no new disk backups can occur 

I have also disabled all error handling rules and enabled logging to the maximum and couldnt see anything to which it was referring to ? 

any ideas as I am going out of my mind on this 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

From your screenshot, your full backup is on hold, hence the duplicate stage has its rule blocked.

If your full backup fails, the duplicate stage will not kick in.  You need to have a successful full backup before can be duplicated.

However, I think duplication should be the least of your worries.  Your more immediate concern should be the lack of space in your dedup folder.  You need to delete some backup sets to free up space but it is not so straight-forward when it comes to the dedup folder.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/deduplication-simplified-part-2-restore

You might want to backup straight to tape to work around the dedup space crunch.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check this TN and see if it helps:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH187702.html

Thanks!

vaux5566
Level 2

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply, I have seen that article and did wonder about it.

However I didnt think it would apply since we have had full backups, granted the last "Full" backup wasnt succesful and I have tried to do a duplicate of the last succesful full backup and all backups and this did not work.To add to this I have removed incremental from the Job so it is just duplicating the backups on the server. (see 3)

However would this article be applicable since I have recreated the job several times and it needs a full backup with the new job ? If so I still dont understand why it wouldnt back up with the original job or is that subject to the last full backup failing ?.

Thanks

3.png

pkh
   VIP    Certified

From your screenshot, your full backup is on hold, hence the duplicate stage has its rule blocked.

If your full backup fails, the duplicate stage will not kick in.  You need to have a successful full backup before can be duplicated.

However, I think duplication should be the least of your worries.  Your more immediate concern should be the lack of space in your dedup folder.  You need to delete some backup sets to free up space but it is not so straight-forward when it comes to the dedup folder.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/deduplication-simplified-part-2-restore

You might want to backup straight to tape to work around the dedup space crunch.

vaux5566
Level 2

cheers for the input It freed about 40gb of space, Im going to try and then dump the backups sets to tape one by one. will confirm if it works