cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot/Checkpoint before upgrading 2012 to 2014

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade the Symantec Backup Exec Appliance 3600.R2 from 2012 to 2014. I was wondering if there is snapshot/checkpoint enabling way available ? If upgrade doesn't go well or I am not happy with 2014, I could rollback to 2012 with same settings/Data and backup jobs ?

I have a tapedrive attached to my appliance 3600, I was wondering if this could cause the upgradation process any problem ? BTW, How many of you have successfully upgraded Backup Appliance 3600R2 to 2014 ? and how did it go, was everything fine and smooth ?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

I have upgraded the appliance using the following, everything went well !

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO100113

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

The easiest way to do so is as follows:

1. Stop the BE services, including the SQL service.

2. Grab manual copies of the Data and Catalogs folders in the installation directory.

3. If anything goes wrong, you would then just reinstall BE 2012 and follow normal procedures to get it back online (stop the BE services, rename the new Data/Catalogs folders, and copy the backed up folders into that installation directory before starting the services up again).

Also, during the upgrade, BE 2014 checks to see if you have any issues and advises you accordingly before proceeding. So you have a means to back out of the upgrade.

My advice would be to consider stopping any AV installed on the appliance before doing the upgrade. I've had McAfee causes issues during the SQL upgrade where it blocked the process, and erased the BEDB!

Thanks!

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

The Appliance should have the Symantec Anti Virus I guess, It can't have McAfee !

Do you have Symactec 2012 installed on the Server or do you have the Backup Appliance 3600R2 ?

Regards

CraigV

I don't have an appliance at all, but the processes are the same when it comes to allowing for a manual rollback.

During the upgrade process, when it comes to the go/no go option (after evaluating the environment), you can click to continue or rollback.

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. I understand that I can rollback during the upgradation if I am not satistied after evaluating. But if something goes wrong then I might have to restore all that. I was wondering if the upgradation is likely to be successful and stright forward process or ...? And could you shed more light on the manually restoring ? 

Bundle of thanks !

CraigV

well, no 2 environments are the same to be honest. You will have to recreate your jobs due to the changes made to BE 2014 (which makes it more like BE 2010).

Check the TN below on how to do the manual restore of BE, step by step:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77440

adeelarifbhatti
Level 4

I have upgraded the appliance using the following, everything went well !

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO100113