Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 3600 appliance upgrade to 2014

mnakhan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

hi

in my environment i have two backup exec 3600 R2 appliances. one is CASO and other is MMS. i want to upgrade it to backup exec 2014 R3. i need your suggestion which appliance i go to upgrade first CASO or MMS?

regards,

21 REPLIES 21

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Symantec Best Practice is always to update the CASO first, be it patch level, service pack or upgrade to a new version.

Do the CASO, patch with BE 2014 SP1 and any subsequent patches, and then upgrade the MMS and do the same.

Thanks!

mnakhan
Level 5

Hi,

i am following its artical for upgrade http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO100113

but unable to find the "upgrade-appliance" cmdlet on shell.

FYR i attached the screenshort

mnakhan
Level 5

HI,

awaiting your response

CraigV

...looks like you forgot a step in the Upgrade-Appliance section as per that TN...

Upgrade-Appliance -NetworkSharedPath <-- ie Domain\ApplianceName

Check the image that is included in the TN which shows what it should look like.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is Appliance Hotfix TECH215884 applied ?

mnakhan
Level 5

when i go to type upgrade-Appliance see the attached file for you reference

CraigV

...have you checked the TN? It references a share name which isn't showing in your command...

Thanks!

mnakhan
Level 5

i have directly attached a USB with appliance. i follow the first method attached usb flash drive not network shared.

VJware
Level 6

Is the previously mentioned HF installed ? If yes, would recommend to log a formal support case.

mnakhan
Level 5

Hi VJware,

backup exec appliance 3600 R2 version is 3.0.422.0 but i m unable to get the command "Upgrade-Appliance".

if you know the other way to download the HF rather then complete live update then guide me how i seprately download that HF.

CraigV

...it seems to be an offline installation and you need to get hold of Symantec support. See below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH215884

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

LiveUpdate is the preferred way to install the hotfix.  If LiveUpdate fails to install the HF, then follow this LB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH224496

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

The hotfix is needed for the appliance to know the command "upgrade-appliance"

if you are unable to get the HF I would open a case at symantec.

some considerations to take in count:

use the remote powershell not from windows 8 or windows2012, this powershell version is to recent for the appliance.

the following command needs also some special attention:

enter-pssession -computername <MUST be the FQDN> (ip-address will not work) -credentials <must be the 'appliance administrator'> (backupexec service account or domain admin will not work) -configuration appliance

if you launch this command from a supported powershell version and the HF is installed and you run the upgrade with the installation on local disk or USB it should work.

mnakhan
Level 5

hi

no success yet pl. view the screen short and advice.

Sid_help
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hi,

I think in caso and mms environment u have to first break communication between the two.

Or if the storage is shared between the two.

Take caso first. Follow the tech artical http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO100113.

CraigV

...you never have to break the link between the CASO and MMS. Upgrade the CASO first, then the MMS.

Thanks!

BackupBjoern
Level 4
Employee Accredited

from the screenshot i just see an ip address, you need to provide ip address\share.

And, you must always at least disable communication to MBES on the CAS or at best stop the services on the MBES before any upgrade,update or patch!

mnakhan
Level 5

hi

from thw windows power shell of remote computer i am login to appliance CASO via local administrator, once connected i type the command upgrade-appliance "usb/network" both options i tried, then given them domain user login and next local administrator login  the last shared screenshort show you the authentication error .

yesterday activity:

now i first login as a domin user via windows powershell, type upgrade=appliance -networksharedpath \\ip\s, provide domain user again provide domain user this time error change memory size power shell issue. i check the properties of powershell  same setting as mentioned in TN. for your reference i attached the screenshort.

mnakhan
Level 5

good news guys one appliance "CASO" successfully upgraded, but facing issue on appliance "MMS" upgrade failed. FYR screen short is attached.

awaiting your kind response.