Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade backupexec appliance 3600.R2 to backupexec2014

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hy all,

I'm trying to upgrade the appliance of one of my customers.

I'm following this TN: http://www.symantec.com/business/support//index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=HOWTO101525

and i'm allready stuck in the prerequisites. the HF they mention isn't found by the appliance. Even if I open an RDP to the appliance and launch the live update directly from the server, the hotfix isn't found.

if I try to bypass it, and continue, i'm unable to launch the command "upgrade-appliance" in the powershell session

I have allready opened a case at symantec, but maybe the solution will be provided faster in this group

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

the first major problem was that the hotfix was not recognized by the liveupdate. Whitout this hotfix, the upgrade isn't possible, because the powershell commands envolved in the upgrade process are deployed through this hotfix.

once the hotfix was applied the upgrade was possible, but woth some considerations beside of the upgrade technote:

- don't use a network share as location for the installation files. This will give errors at some point (mostly when verifying the content of the iso)

- use an usb disk, or local disk for the location of the upgrade files.

- in the upgrade command:

* use the FQDN and not the hostname, or IP-address, if necessary add the necessary intries in the host-file to make this work correctly

* the account used must be the local administrator of the appliance, a created bexec sys account, or other will not work

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_Gazo
Level 3

That hotfix is applied from the WebUI, not from BE's LiveUpdate.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

I know, but that isn't working either.

In the meanwhile a support case is open, but without any positive result until now. Even They messed up the WEBUI.

to be continued

Paul_Gazo
Level 3

Ouch.  Well, good luck.  I had to do a couple passes through the WebUI to get it up-to-date but haven't had any actual problems getting either of two appliances to apply that HF.

I'm proceeding with my first upgrade right now.

pgdi
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Kindly advise us , our customer  will implement  Hyper-v High Availability so he will need Storage for this ,in the other hand he will use Backup Exec as Backup Solution .

We asked if he  can replace the original Storage (HP  storage ) with Symantec Appliance or not , and this will be good solution or not.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please make your own thread, this is totally off topic.

BackupBjoern
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hello,

Follow this article, it should take care of this problem

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH224496

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am a colleague of "jurgen barbieur" (OP) and this case is still ongoing with Symantec. We managed to get the liveupdate working again and also the webinterface is back up. Symantec is still trying to do the upgrade but the appliance can't find any updates at all.

BackupBjoern
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Maurijo,

I know about this case and we are hoping to get all resolved by today.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

We hope so to, thanks for the info.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This case was solved by the way, we got to work with an experienced appliance engineer and she fixed all of the problems and made the upgrade happen. I think jurgen will post a more detailed solution soon

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

the first major problem was that the hotfix was not recognized by the liveupdate. Whitout this hotfix, the upgrade isn't possible, because the powershell commands envolved in the upgrade process are deployed through this hotfix.

once the hotfix was applied the upgrade was possible, but woth some considerations beside of the upgrade technote:

- don't use a network share as location for the installation files. This will give errors at some point (mostly when verifying the content of the iso)

- use an usb disk, or local disk for the location of the upgrade files.

- in the upgrade command:

* use the FQDN and not the hostname, or IP-address, if necessary add the necessary intries in the host-file to make this work correctly

* the account used must be the local administrator of the appliance, a created bexec sys account, or other will not work