cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Restore from exec.cloud

andrademac
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I configured SQL database Backup in continuous mode, but when I want restore information from a previous day, only appear one or two point of restore (Two hours at day). The Question is How much information could I lost in this restore scenario?

2. What happen with the SQL logs or how is the sql backup process.  In the admin manual there are not much information about it.

Thanks

Morice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Igor_S1
Level 3
Employee

Hello Andrademac

When you select SQL, System State or Exchange we would use VSS to take a snap of the changes.

This snap occurs during the following times and it is not editable, 04:00, 12:00 and 20:00 hours.

Then that data is stored using the following rules.( http://consolehelp.symanteccloud.com/Home.aspx/Default?localeId=EN_US&topicId=v57993533_v57851744&prodId=SCLD )

·         Up to three revisions are saved on the first day

·         Daily revisions for the first week

·         Weekly revisions for the first month

·         Monthly revisions for three months

Your data is never deleted or removed prematurely by Backup Exec.cloud. Revision data older than 90 days is deleted, but the final revision remains. Several other situations result in data deletion:

·         Deselecting data in your backup policy

·         Deleting data from your local computer

When it comes to the logs we would trim them during snapshot period back them up also.

Igor S

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Suppose you only have backups taken at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.  and your server crashes at 4 p.m., you would loose any input from 11 a.m. or 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. when you do a restore.  Worse, if somebody discovered that there is a wrong entry done at 9.30 a.m. which needs to be reversed, you would be unable to restore the database to a point before the erroneous entry.

The reason why you are only seeing one or two backup sets is because the rest are overwritten.  You have probably not choose to retain them for a longer period.

To backup your logs, you need to configure a separate log backup job.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-sql-logs-and-truncate-them-be-2012

Igor_S1
Level 3
Employee

Hello Andrademac

Would you be able to confirm what backup application you are using ?

Igor S

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I thought it is obvious from the title of the forum.  What other product can he be using?

Igor_S1
Level 3
Employee

Hello PKH

As Symantec has a number of backup products I would rather not assume the product andrademac has.

Also from the answer you provided it sounds like this is for Backup Exec stand alone not Backup Exec.Cloud.

This is why i why I whanted to clarify.

Igor S 

andrademac
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your interest in this case, the product is Backup Exec Cloud in hostedendpoint.spn.com.

I think we could lose some hours of information despite the SQL backup said to be continuous.

Igor_S1
Level 3
Employee

Hello Andrademac

When you select SQL, System State or Exchange we would use VSS to take a snap of the changes.

This snap occurs during the following times and it is not editable, 04:00, 12:00 and 20:00 hours.

Then that data is stored using the following rules.( http://consolehelp.symanteccloud.com/Home.aspx/Default?localeId=EN_US&topicId=v57993533_v57851744&prodId=SCLD )

·         Up to three revisions are saved on the first day

·         Daily revisions for the first week

·         Weekly revisions for the first month

·         Monthly revisions for three months

Your data is never deleted or removed prematurely by Backup Exec.cloud. Revision data older than 90 days is deleted, but the final revision remains. Several other situations result in data deletion:

·         Deselecting data in your backup policy

·         Deleting data from your local computer

When it comes to the logs we would trim them during snapshot period back them up also.

Igor S