cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0x17 V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred

Stevens_A
Level 2

Hi,

A client of ours is using backup exec 2012 (Latest version) to backup to their daily tapes. About 2 weeks ago the backup started failing with all the tapes and received the following error message:

0x17
V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

Looked at other posts that people have made and tried some of the reccomendations there but nothing has worked. The tape drive that we use there is a HP Ultrium-4 SCSI and have ensured that the drivers and firmware are up to date. Have also tried running HP library and tape tools and everything seems to be fine.

One strange thing however is that we are able to run a backup in very small amount only tried about 6 MB at most but it is able to back that much up just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Ovi_I
Level 4

Use drivers and firmware provided by Veritas and not the ones provided by HP.

We have few ultrium 5 and we will decomission them soon as they are old and soon start to provide us with errors. If nothing works change the tape drive, LTO4 is old.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Look inside BE at the media itself. If there are excessive Hard Write Errors then change the tapes.

You can also run the Write Test within HP LTT which will write a bunch of data to the tapes. If this fails, replace or upgrade the drive. As such you can only go to LTO6 if you want to read the LTO4 tapes.

Thanks!

Stevens_A
Level 2

Hi CraigV, 

I will look at running a Write test within HP LTT with one of the tapes that we know was working before the error occurred but is rarely used. I have however looked at our tapes and I have checked them all and the most amount of hard write errors that we have on a tape is 1. We do however have about 22 Hard Read errors on the tapes but they have been in use for over 3 years.

Thanks,

Alex

Stevens_A
Level 2

As you have suggested I have ran a Read/Write test and it has shown that it incomplete as a read error occurred and to clean the drive which we have done and still the same message. I ran an individual test on the drive and then on the media and it reported that the drive was ok but had read errors for the tape but didn't give any information regarding the error. I think I may have missed this out but in the job history it is showing that there is a byte count and job rate.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex