cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xa0008221 - Library error

Andrew_Hall_3
Level 3
Whenever I run a cleaning job, the tape drive loads the cleaning cartridge from slot 6 and seems to begin the job normally, however, at about 20% completion (or 50 seconds) into the job, I get an error, the job fails, and the tape is returned to the magazine. In the job log it says "Final error a0008221 - Library error - the magazine is missing or not properly installed".

Please note that the statistics on all the cleaning tapes tried so far have read:
"Number of cleanings: 0"
"Maximum number of cleanings: 20"

Also note that I am not having problems with my backup jobs.

I have tried the following without solving my problem:
1. Verified that slot 6 has been defined as holding cleaning media and that the corresponding "Cleaning slot" box has beend checked.
2. Verified that cleaning media is in fact installed in slot 6.
3. Replaced the magazine with one of the other magazines from our existing backup set.
4. Installed a newly purchased (unused) magazine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

==========================================
System Configuration:
Windows 2000 V. 5.0 SP4
Veritas Backup Exec V. 9.1
HP StorageWorks DAT 40x6 tape drive
==========================================
4 REPLIES 4

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please verify that the latest drivers are installed. Please refer the following link for the latest drivers :

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268088.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thank You

Andrew_Hall_3
Level 3
Per your advice, I installed service pack 4a (be4691RSP4a_280008.exe) and the drivers update (BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_273853.exe). Then I ran an inventory job on the magazine and after that I ran a cleaning job.

The cleaning job failed just as before.

What's next?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Usually, this issue arises due to the hardware problem. So, if the issue remains unresolved, please contact the hardware vendor for details. Could you contact the manufacturer regarding the firmware updates.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Andrew_Hall_3
Level 3
Please note that I updated the firmware in the tape drive and now the cleaning job runs to completion with errors.

For the benefit of those unfortunate souls who may be as ignorant as I am about the HP tape drives, let me note that HP supplies a diagnostic utility called "Library and Tape Tools" which includes a number of useful diagnostic tests and maintenance functions. This is what I used to determine that the firmware was out of date and also to perform the update.