cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe0000397 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Windows Server 2012/Exchange 2013 RTM

mbrackey
Not applicable

Everytime I run a backup of my MS Exchange 2013, I receive a failure when the catalog fails to complete. Each time it has been the error stated in my title.

I am by no means an expert. I am barely a novice. I know that I need to get some of the CU/SP updates done for Exchange, but that is something I have to wait on. Until then I just want to know if there is anything I can do to get back to normal backups.

Oh and for the sake of it being said. I run MS Exchange 2013 on a Windows Server 2012 system and I am running Backup Exec 15.

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per the SCL, CU3 is the minimum update required. That could be the reason.

Secondly, does a non-GRT backup complete successfully ?

If non-GRT completes successfully and only GRT enabled backup fails, check couple of things -

1) Does the staging location have sufficient space to stage the entire IS ? And are you backing up to disk or tape (Staging location differs based on storage device) ?

2) Run Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) on the staging location against ese.dll and check for any errors.

Point 2 may also be due to the fact that Exchange 2013 isn't updated. I would suggest to completely patch Exchange 2013 first and if that's not possible, then try running a non-GRT backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Before you even talk about updates to your Exchange, you would need to install the final release of Exchange. The RTM version may not allow updates