Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe00084af error and vss problems

Nokkela
Level 4

Hello! i need help!
Symantec 13.0.2896, Windows 2008 r2.

I cant backup my server. Seems like after some windows updates.
0xe00084af error - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
I can backup the systemstate, but when i try to copy "c:" i have got a error.
Root of the problem is V-79-10000-11219 - vss error.

First of all i have read this ( http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71644 )  thread and i had checked the scenarios, i already done all recommendations and have no result (

There is only one event on the server about this backup - 8224 "the VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout"

any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nokkela
Level 4

So, the problem was in some very strange link files. One of them was c:\restore\server_name_restore.vdmnt as a link file to the folder c:\restore. I dont know what was that but i suggest that this folder was made after restoring this server to another location (restore test). Restoring was some months ago, and the problem with backup is just 2 weeks old. I really dont understand this but after deleting this links, my backup job is finishing with success.

ps. Strange that Symantec showed in the errors on a pass files in a folder windows\system32 and why, after the removal of links (not leading to system files) all working fine.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you confirm if the Advanced open file option is set to use Microsoft VSS. Also, see if you can uncheck the "Process logical volumes one at a time. If it still does not help, try to create a new selection list.

Also, if you can, get BE updated to 2010 R3 SP3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you tried a restart of the server?

Have you looked at creating a new selection list and job and run this as a test? If it works, consider using this instead of the current backup/selection list as they could be corrupted.

Thanks!

Nokkela
Level 4

Ok, now i set "Advanced open file option" to use microsoft vss. It is strange that I have not done this before.

I cant update in the next couple of months (

Nokkela
Level 4

Hi!

Ofc, i have restarted my server, many times.

I already create a new selection list/job - no result.

Nokkela
Level 4

No success with setting Microsoft VSS, now i am unchecking the "logical volumes" option, but there is 1 logical volume on the server and i guess this trick will not help.

update. no success. Server is very small, so the operation is fast, about 20 min. 

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Nokkela,

Make sure the  "Volume Shadow Copy" and the "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy" services are stopped and set to manual on the servers. 
From a command prompt type VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS find out if the status of all the writers are stable. 

see this link for more information http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129014

Albino_Oscar
Level 2
Employee

Hi Craig,

Had the same problem with one of my clients. Creating a new selection list fixed the issue

@Nokkela: try " vssadmin list providers " in command prompt.

Do check if if there are multiple VSS providers apart from Microsoft.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec 13.0.2896

You are on BE 2010 R1 and a lot of system state problems are resolved in the later releases.  As previously advised, you should upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, download and upgrade to SP3.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 3

After you have upgraded to R3 SP3, push out the remote agent again.

Nokkela
Level 4

Only Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider 1.0.0.7

Nokkela
Level 4

Hi!

All writer components are stable and have no error.

Volume Shadow Copy service was working (

tnx!

update. no success :(

Nokkela
Level 4

I understand that, but first of all i want to solve this problem, because 2 weeks early i didn't have her.

Tnx for the links!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your problem might be fixed by upgrading to R3 SP3.

CraigV

...if the upgrade to BE 2010 R3 with SP3 doesn't sort this out, I'd suggest you log a call with Symantec to get this sorted out.

The only other option is to try running a backup using the built-in Windows backup utility and see if you get the same issue. If you do, then it points to a possible OS issue instead.

Thanks!

Nokkela
Level 4

The standard Windows backup utility working normally. Seems like i have to make an upgrade.

CraigV

...and if this doesn't work after the upgrade, then I'd suggest logging a call with Symantec to have this resolved.

Thanks!

Nokkela
Level 4

Today i upgraded my Symantec BE to R3 sp3 - no change. Same error.

Nokkela
Level 4

Today i upgraded my Symantec BE to R3 sp3 - no change. Same error.

CraigV

...I would suggest logging a call with Symantec around this then!

Thanks!

Nokkela
Level 4

So, the problem was in some very strange link files. One of them was c:\restore\server_name_restore.vdmnt as a link file to the folder c:\restore. I dont know what was that but i suggest that this folder was made after restoring this server to another location (restore test). Restoring was some months ago, and the problem with backup is just 2 weeks old. I really dont understand this but after deleting this links, my backup job is finishing with success.

ps. Strange that Symantec showed in the errors on a pass files in a folder windows\system32 and why, after the removal of links (not leading to system files) all working fine.