cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent. On B2D Jobs.

Chase_Drouillar
Level 4

This is a problem that's been around, since BE2010 for me, and most likely for much longer than that. The problem is that, every now and again, backup to disk jobs will fail with the error 0xe00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent. This isn't a problem itself, given that the solution is to simply re-run the job and it will complete normally most of the time, but the main issue is that this results in the duplicate job attempting to create a duplicate of the failed backup, which then causes the duplicate to fail with the same error. This is an extremely large problem, because, unlike the normal backup to disk jobs, the duplicate job maintains a list of media sets it needs to duplicate, and will not remove an entry from that list until it is successfully duplicated. Because of this, one inconsistency failure in a backup to disk job means that all future duplicate jobs will fail.

As I've posted in multiple other posts which have recieved little attention, it was possible to fix this issue in backup exec 2010 by directly editing that list of media sets that the duplicate job had queued to backup, and removing the bad media set. I can't do that in BE2012. The only option that I have found now is to completely delete the duplicate job and recreate it, which means a complete loss of all and any media sets that were queued to duplicate, which is a grevious loss of data and is unacceptable.

So my question is, due to the fact that Symantec decided to remove my ability to fix this error at the duplicate level, is tehre a way to fix the root error at the backup to disk level, and stop these media inconsistent errors from ever occuring? I found this KB article, but it doesn't list backup exec 2012 in the covered products at all.

2 REPLIES 2

VBU
Level 4

Hi Chase Drouillard,

Could be a possibility that the Disk where your B2D folder is lying is having some problem. Please check it for disk errors and also please try to defrag the disk. Please also try to create a new B2D folder.

Chase_Drouillar
Level 4

Well, in BE2012 there's no such thing as creating a new B2D folder. It's simply a disk storage drive where all my B2D jobs go. And so you suggest just doing what that article says? Defrag and scan disk it?