cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe000fe28 - A network connection to the server could not be established.

VincentClose
Level 3
Backup Exec 2010. Server it's running on it Windows Server 2008 R2. One of my backup jobs has begun failing. It last successfully ran on Friday night (today is Tuesday). Last night's (Monday) job, the first attempt since Friday, fails with the following error: Job ended: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 2:41:06 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000fe28 - A network connection to the server could not be established. Final error category: Job Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65064 No other detailed information is provided, such as what server it attempted to connect to. There are 9 servers, all running either Windows Server 2003 or 2008, in this backup job. I have looked at the link, and all of the entries refer to backups involving Netware servers. We do not have any Netware servers, so I'm not sure what else to do. I have checked the logon credentials and the account being used is the same account it's always been, and the password has not changed or anything like that. One of the documents suggested restarting the services on the server, which I have done a couple of times already. Each subseqent attempt has met with the same failure. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Vincent 

In the job log check for which server the backup job is failing. Below the error message you will able to find the name

of the server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check the remote servers to see that the BE Remote Agent service is still running.  Also, check the event logs on these remote servers to see whether there was any failure of of the BE Remote Agent service during the time when he backup job was run.

VincentClose
Level 3
Well, that's part of my problem.  The job log doesn't indicate which server it's failing on.  What you saw in my original posting was all that it provided me.

I'm right now doing individual backup jobs on each server, one-by-one, to determine which server it's failing on.  So far, the first two servers have backed up successfully.

VincentClose
Level 3
I've been able to identify the server it's failing on.  It's our Exchange Server.  That server is running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, has the agent installed, and it's the current agent.  The event log does not show any errors around the time that the backup is attempted.

The only entry is an informational entry that says the VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.  The system log shows the VSS service entering the running state, then about 5 minutes later, entering the stopped state.  That's it.

Suggestions?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If AOFO is enabled in your backup job, disable it.  It is not advisible to use AOFO to backup Exchange.

VincentClose
Level 3
I did just try doing a backup job on that server with AOFO disabled, and it didn't make a difference.  Still failed within 2 minutes of the job starting up.

AOFO was enabled on the original backup job, as it was needed for the other servers that were getting backed up along with the Exchange server.

I'm thinking of trying to uninstall the agent on this server and reinstalling it to see if that makes a difference.

VincentClose
Level 3
I just got done uninstalling and reinstalling the backup agent on this server (without AOFO).  I then created a backup job to back up this server.  Didn't matter.  Same error.

VincentClose
Level 3

I did just try doing a backup job on that server with AOFO disabled, and it didn't make a difference.  Still failed within 2 minutes of the job starting up.

AOFO was enabled on the original backup job, as it was needed for the other servers that were getting backed up along with the Exchange server.

I'm thinking of trying to uninstall the agent on this server and reinstalling it to see if that makes a difference.

VincentClose
Level 3
I've been able to trace the issue to the backup of the Information Store on the Exchange server.  I can individually back up the items on the server (C:, D:, System State, etc.).  But when I get into backing up the information store, that backup fails with the error I've been getting.

I have confirmed that the backup exec admin account is part of the domain admins, and it is also a local admin on the Exchange server, even though it's part of the domain admins group.

I have turned on debugging and attached the log files from the BE server and the Exchange server.

Remember, this all worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

We are experiencing the same thing on our Backup Exec 2014 server where it is not able to establish communication with our DAG anymore.  I tried all the stated troubleshooting listed here but to no avail.  Has a resolution been found yet?