cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred - utility partition

Vmax8
Level 3

Having a simple setup. One server, Backup Exec installed there. Backup up to tape or drive attached to the server. No problems until now.

Any backup which includes the utility partition, failes with above error message and following log entry:

Backup- \\SERVER\Utility Partition
V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.

V-79-57344-41488 - Due to one or more errors in \\SERVER\Utility Partition, this backup cannot be used for conversion to virtual machines, Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR), or a complete online restore.

As I need to backup the utility partition for Intelligent Disaster Recovery to work, hope someone can help.

12 REPLIES 12

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

can you attach the joblog to the case?

Job Log attached. Thanks for your reply.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

from your client server, go to disk management, and assign a drive letter to the utility partition.

try the backup again

Backup in the past worked without drive letter. What could be the reason I have to assign one now? I'm a bit worried it might "mess up" the server by assigning a drive letter.

... anyhow, tried it, but disk management doesn't allow any drive letter to be assigned to the utility partition. Dare not to use diskpart.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

did you checked following technote? 

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH226283

I did, but nothing applies to my case

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

are my following assumptions correct?

one server, that has:

- backupexec installed

- hyper-v installed

- AD configured

- tape-drive attached

and you want a job running for SDR purposes of this same server?

Correct

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

beside the problem you have to the utility partition.

How do you think to restore this server after a disaster? because even if you have a tape with a valid backup, you still need your backupexec server to read the tape and restore the data.

So if you ant to restore, you will still need to install an os, backupexec, tape library, before a restore, and when this is done, it is not the best practise to do a SDR restore on the same machine....

Or do you have a working plan to recover your server from DR with the data on tape wothout installing the server again

Restore using the bootable DR CD and restore from a disk to which I back up to or from tape.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

I would suggest to open a case at veritas support