cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10d IDR fails with security errors

Zachariah_Bobby
Not applicable
We're evaluating Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10d, but we're mainly interested in the IDR option. I have three machines involved in this scenario: 1) Our media server, 2) Our terminal server, and 3) our server that represents an exact replica of our terminal server. The goal is to use IDR to make a IDR backup set of our terminal server and restore it to the replica. I've made the backup set of the terminal server, created the IDR diskettes and I've gotten to the point where I can see the backup sets for Drive C: and System State that are to be restored. I then get the Restoring Data Screen with the "Status is Running", but then I get a Job Failed window with error text stating:

The job failed with the following error: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.

When I check the job history on the media server it says

Error category : Security Errors
Error : e000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.

I found another post on this board http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/message.jspa?messageID=4385233

related to this issue and tried the recommended steps of re-entering the service credentials and stopping and starting the services. No go. I don't see any help in the administrator's guide. We'd really like to go with Backup Exec but if we can't get the IDR to function we more than likely won't choose it as a solution.
1 REPLY 1

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

to isolate the issue, please do the following:

1. Lower the priority of the remote agent.

[How to change the priority level of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253094

2. Close all third party application and anti-virus software for test purposes while doing the backup.

3. Use the "netstat -a" command and make sure that no other application is using port 10000.

4. Please make sure Backup Exec service account has Domain Admin rights and local administrator rights on the system being backed up.

5. All the Backup Exec services should under Domain admin account except remote agent which runs under "local system account".

6. Install the Latest Network drivers on the media and remote server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.