cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11D bemcmd.exe -o31 issues

abickers
Level 3
Hi All,

Im having some issues using the bemcmd -o31 syntax to create a job log in html format
Originally i followed the syntax from the technote here http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287036.htm which works fine but only if the xml job log is in the default location i.e "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data"

As soon as i attempt to specify the path to the xml job log i get a -1 return code

Example from technote:
bemcmd -o31 -l"C:\Output\Backup0001.html" -s1 -f"C:\Data\BEX_SERVER_0001.xml"

My syntax
bemcmd -o31 -l"C:\bex.html" -s1 -f"C:\bex.xml"

bex.xml is a 16KB xml job log taken and renamed from the default location "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data"

I have tried various combinations but it seems the only way i can get this to work is to also have a bex.xml present in the default log directory which is weird as my syntax is pointing to c:\bex.xml a possible fault with the bemcmd.exe prehaps?
4 REPLIES 4

abickers
Level 3
Anyone else have this problem?

i have followed several guides including the Administrators guide and bemcmd syntax still same issue

STeve_O
Level 5
Th syntax should be

C:\temp>"c:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemcmd.exe" -o31 -f"c:\temp\my.xm
l" -l"c:\temp\mylog.html" –v

abickers
Level 3
Thanks, i tried that i still get an -1 return code

This is what is written to the html file based on that syntax

(04/27/09 09:50:46):"c:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemcmd.exe" -o31 -f"c:\temp\bex.xml" -l"c:\temp\mylog.html" –v RETURN VALUE: -1

bex.xml is present inside the temp directory, am i missing something?

abickers
Level 3
Ok here is the debug output from using the -v switch (debug)

(04/29/09 14:43:01):"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemcmd.exe" -v -o31 -l"c:\test.txt" -s0 -f"c:\bex.xml"
Connecting to local media server...
Connected.
Getting server information...
Transforming file...
ERROR CODE: 2
ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified.

Disconnecting from server...
Disconnected.
RETURN VALUE: -1

The bex.xml file is clear and present in the root of the c:\ so now idea why its reporting it cant find the file
the strange thing is
As soon as i copy the bex.xml into the "c:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data" folder where the logs originate from the syntax works prefect, its as if its ignoring the "C:\"  and looking in the default location each time despite specifiying the log path

Any suggestions?

this should work and is driving me mad ;)