cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d DLO Profile options upon Logout/Restart/Shutdown

Clive_Donaldson
Level 3
I just installed BE 11d. Never used BE before. Dell sold it to me with server hardware and they sold me what I thought was 10 remote agent client licenses with 5 included free. I now discover that I don't have BE Remote Agents for Windows at all but DLO instead. This would be OK but I can't see a way to use it as you would a remote agent, that is behind the scenes without user involvement.

Specifically, there is a pull-down on the Profile Schedule tab for Logout/Restart/Shutdown options. What I want is to make DLO perform the backup at a scheduled time without the user's involvement at all. The closest choice seems to be "Run as scheduled", which allows the job to run when the user is logged out, but it still requires the user to input Windows credentials when logging out before the job will run as scheduled. Is there a way around this so the user is never asked for anything? Or is what I am asking for only possible with a true Windows Remote Agent for BE?
2 REPLIES 2

Paul_Molina
Level 4
Clive:
I thought DLO would work like the remote agent too. Have you tried installing it, then running a test bu from within the BUEXEC media server server console? The workstations don't show up when you add them either under remote selections or user defined selections?

Clive_Donaldson
Level 3
Yes, I have made such a test. I installed the DLO agent on one of my PCs, then tried a backup using the different logout/restart/shutdown choices. If logging off triggers the backup then the user has to enter a password and the backup does get made (but user intervention is required). If logging in triggers the backup then the backup starts happening right away, which is unacceptable since the files being backup up are locked up and it slows the PC down.

I think Dell didn't know the difference between DLO agents and true remote agents. They sold me the former because they are cheaper no doubt, but they had no idea if this was a solution for me, and it doesn't look like it is. Very frustrating!