cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d Disk to Disk to Tape Backup - Best method

SWinfield
Not applicable
I am looking to create a d-d-t backup routine which will back up data to disk and then transfer this data to tape.  I am new to backup exec 11d and wonder if anyone can guide me to the best method of setting this up.

My thoughts were

1 - Create backup to disk folders for each weekday and four Fridays used on rotation.
2 - Label tape media for each weekday and four Fridays.
3 - Create 1 job to run for the monday backup and save as a template.
4 - Create additional jobs based on this template for the rest of the week.

Is this the easiest way to create this type of job taking setup time and future management into account?

Many thanks

Stuart
4 REPLIES 4

pikes
Level 4
You would definitely want to create a job policy if you are going to copy a backup job to disk. I think the best way to set this up would be to create a daily backup for each day. The backup job method would be "copy". This is so if you decide to do monthly backups or anything that might be incremental it won't interfere with this.

In the job policy you can go through the wizard to set up a backup copy job to tape. This should be pretty self explanatory.

The way you will make sure your Friday backup does not get overwritten each week is to make sure that the overwrite protection period of the media set for your Friday backup is longer than 3 weeks, but not longer than 4 weeks. Basically you want to "protect" the media from being overwritten until the next time it runs on the next month right? You want your append period to be maybe 4-5 days in case you need to re-run the backup because of a failure. This way you will have different media used for each week, and the oldest media used will always be overwritten on Friday.

Good luck. If you have any questions just post here.

Message Edited by pikes on 10-24-2007 08:42 AM

Joji
Level 5
i sort of have the same issue: i have created the Back-to-disk folder and now my Administrator decided he wants the files on tapes. how do i copy the backed files on a Back-to-disk folder to a media tape?
thanks.

pikes
Level 4

@Joji wrote:
i sort of have the same issue: i have created the Back-to-disk folder and now my Administrator decided he wants the files on tapes. how do i copy the backed files on a Back-to-disk folder to a media tape?
thanks.

As I said, you have to create a job policy that will have 2 steps - run the main job, then copy it to tape. The policy will automatically create the jobs for you, and you'll have to associate the policy with a selection list.

zebo51
Level 4
We use duplicate sets and set them to follow our backup jobs.