cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d error : The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Hi All,

I have been trying to sort out an issue with Backup Exec 11d for some time before resorting to getting some assistance on the symantec/veritas forum.

The error i am getting is below.

(Server: "#######") (Job: "Daily Backup") Daily Backup -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

I am running Backup Exec 11d on a windows 2003 SBS server.
I have installed the updated MDAC2.8.
I have performed a complete re-install of Backup exec.
I have repaired the installation and also repaired the BE database.
I have also switched off the verify option.

This error happens when the backup job is run both manually and automatically scheduled.
I have also completely recreated the job and selection list.
I am only backing up data from a single server to a sony AIT 3 drive, althought the error occurs when backing up to tape and also a backup to disk folder i have created.

I have sat there and watched the backup when it happens, it looks as though it backs up fine, then it verifies fine, then just seems to stall and the job changes it's state to recovered and starts again. Eventually it times out and reports the above error message.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers.
9 REPLIES 9

Chris_Sykes
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Be sure to deselect the option for Enable legacy mailbox support under tools, options, MS Exchange...that is, if you are restoring mailboxes using the information store (new feature w/ 11d) for your backup job. Worth a try. Good luck.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Also, please ensure that the option "Display Progress indicators" in Tools> Options> Preferences has been deselected during the backups.

Do you see any active alerts in the Alerts tab?

Also, is a drwatson log generated? If yes, could cou check out what module is the job engine crashing on. (You could check the same in the event viewer.)

Thanks!

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestion Chris, but that did not resolve the issue.

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Hi,

I tried to perform a database consistency check and repair this morning but the consistency check ended with errors.

Error: The check of the database failed.
Database utility for server ###### ended with errors.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this.
The repair indices and repair database seem to work fine, but the consistency check fails.

corey_weeklund
Level 3
I don't remember the exact error I was getting, but I had a similar issue where Symantec Antivirus 10's tamper protection was squashing my BE services.

Disabling tamper protection in SAV fixed my issue.

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
You mentioned "have sat there and watched the backup when it happens, it looks as though it backs up fine, then it verifies fine, then just seems to stall and the job changes it's state to recovered and starts again. Eventually it times out and reports the above error message."

Ensure you have verify turned off. I had the exact problem, my service kept dying, restarting and running over and over again. The disable verify option solved this.

Sean_Daniely
Level 4
Where do you disable Verify? Is it per job or global?

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
Modify the job, settings, general and disable verify. I only had to do this if backing up Exchange 2003. No problems verifing normal backups

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Hi Stephen,

I have already disabled the verify, it still does not complete the job.
I think Corey may be onto something as I have read elsewhere that there are issues with SAV interfering with the backup processes.

I will attempt these suggestions and let you know, thanks for your help.