cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.5 selection list and job error

cypher
Level 4
Boy BackupExec 12.5 is nothing but problematic.  If you can get it setup, great, but it's unstable as anything to modify or create jobs.  I was just going through properties of creating a new job, and I changed the selection order , but noticed there was a duplicate item in there.  So then I went back to Selection Lists to remove the duplicate item, I do that and then this error comes up:

A severe application error has occurred.

Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
External component has thrown an exception.

Stack Trace: at BackupExec.UI.BEDlgs.ShowDialogWithAdamm(Int32 dialogId)
at BackupExec.UIFramework.CommandManager.a(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.a(String[] A_0)
at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.b(String[] A_0)

Also when you go to Edit > Manage Selection Lists there is an Edit , Delete, Close, and Help button, but no New button!!!  In order to create new selection lists you have to create whole backup jobs!  I want to create all my selection lists, since BackupExec tends to fail when putting everything in one selection.  I need to seperate our Win2000 servers on the LAN, the Win 2000 servers on the DMZ, the Win2003 servers on the LAN, the WinXP servers on the LAN, etc...  If they are bunched together they fail because of the Advanced Open File Option that works with Win2003 does not work with Win2000, hence my need to create many multiple jobs and multiple selection lists.

I wouldn't reccomend Symantec BackupExec to my worst enemy.  It's been nothing but problems.  It's a horrible bloated piece of software.

1 REPLY 1

chicojrman
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/310741.htm?