cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.2 TB single file (NFS(!) on NetApp) is shown as an 1.2 GB file

dkschmitz
Level 3

Good Morning everybody!

In our environment we have to NetApp Filers, with a bunch of LUNs for Booting, Databases,etc.

Now, i wanted to setup a new job (NDMP) and wondered about a file, which is shown as a single file (a NetApp LUN) with a size of 1,2 GB. This file should be shown as 2,2 TB! Someone could think, Dedup is a reeeeaaal good thing, but in fact the Symantec Support marked it as a cosmetic issue.

When trying to backup the file, i got everything, and i mean the whole 2,2 TB, on tape.

I´m still waiting for the Symantec Support for telling me the Hotfix is done :)

Just for information, don´t know if someone got the same issue!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What size is that LUN in Windows? 1.2TB or 2.2TB? Windows would have a maximum LUN size of 2TB that you can present, and then span to create a dynamic disk larger than 2TB...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

What size is that LUN in Windows? 1.2TB or 2.2TB? Windows would have a maximum LUN size of 2TB that you can present, and then span to create a dynamic disk larger than 2TB...

Thanks!

dkschmitz
Level 3

Sry have to revoke my entry!

It´s an NFS Export with that single file in it!

So it is mounted on a SLES 10 and windows could not handle that NFS. But if i take a look at the Linux Server i got the whole 2.2 TB, only BE 2010 R3 shows me the wrong size.

CraigV

...that's down to a Windows limitation. You would be able to present multiple 2TB LUNs to a Windows and within Windows itself, combine them into a much larger drive to back up to/from.

dkschmitz
Level 3

I hope i understand your reply, that it is not a "special" problem within BE2010 but rather a problem within windows?

CraigV

...I'd say so, yes. Could be that the size of the LUN is causing Windows to misreport it.