cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 out of 4 tape drives offline

AgeasServer
Level 4

Hi,

We have a new installation of BE2012 and have a new server and new tape library, the tape libary is a TS3200 IBM 4 Drive Fibre attached library, in BE 2012 2 of the drives are showing as online and 2 are showing as offline, looking into device manager it only shows two drives in there.

Below is a even that keeps occuring in the application event log for backup exec

Adamm Mover Error: GetDriveInfo Failure!

Error = ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE

In the tape library web interface page it is showing that all 4 drives are up and running, i have run a update xpress on the ibm server to ensure all device drivers are up and running, it shows the 2 FC HBA's up and running without issue

Any help would be really handy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AgeasServer
Level 4

This was a problemw ith the physical hardware, a drive required replacing

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

BE sees what Windows sees...if Windows sees 2 drives, so will BE.

Check the zoning and make sure that is correct. You should also have 3 x LEO licenses, otherwise BE will only use 1, or the # of drives allowed with what is installed.

Thanks!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Is the Robotic Library and the connection method supported as per the HCL.

2. Backupexec gets its device data from Windows Device manager, if there are only 2 drives visible in the device manager, thats exactly what BE would see. you would need to troublehsoot with the Hardware vendor and ensure that all the drives are visible in the Windows device manager.

3. Make sure that you have Symantec drivers installed for all the tape drives and the medium changer is listed as Unknown medium changer (Microsoft drivers)

AgeasServer
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for response, we are using 3 x library expansion options and these are listed in installed options, the fibre cards are directly attached to the tape library no fibre switches are used therefore no zoning.

There are two fibre cards that are dual port

AgeasServer
Level 4

The robotic library is one that we have used on another media server therefore HCL shouldnt be an issue with this one.

I have logged a call with the hardware vendor as well, my only concern was that the device was showing as all green on the tape library, you login to the web interface page and all drives are presented and ready with no issues.

I have checked the device drivers and they are as you stated already

Other suggestions would be great

Thank You

CraigV

...this isn't a Backup Exec problem. It is a configuration problem between the hardware (server & library) and/or Windows.

Once that is sorted out, BE will see the drives as you comply with the licensing requirements.

Thanks!

AgeasServer
Level 4

Thanks for this Craig, i did think it was mainly a hardware/os issue, however, seeing as most people who use BE tend to use a tape library and windows OS i was hoping someone might have seen this problem and had a fix for it.

I will attempt to get further with the hardware vendor thanks for this

CraigV

...not a problem!

Thanks!

AgeasServer
Level 4

This was a problemw ith the physical hardware, a drive required replacing