cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 servers, same GB, different times to complete, why?

need2backup
Level 2

Hi.  I've just inherited the server backup task and am learning as I go.  

I have 2 servers backing up to 1 tape drive (and a 3rd server to a second drive, but that doesn't relate to this question).

Both servers have around 350 GB of data on a completed backup.  The first one averages 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete.  The second takes 7-9 hours to complete.  My software settings are identical for both backups.  Any thoughts why the second one runs so slow?  And ideas for speeding it up?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
  • one server has more big files (faster), the other server has more small files (slower)
  • one server has a faster disk system
  • one server has faster network or processor

there are many variable and you need to investigate the differences between the two servers and the actual data being backed up.  Knowing that they both have about 350 GB is only a slice of the pie.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
  • one server has more big files (faster), the other server has more small files (slower)
  • one server has a faster disk system
  • one server has faster network or processor

there are many variable and you need to investigate the differences between the two servers and the actual data being backed up.  Knowing that they both have about 350 GB is only a slice of the pie.

need2backup
Level 2

Thanks Larry, it is nice just knowing that there are many reasons this could be "normal" behavior.  The data on the servers is quite different in nature - the faster one is the mail server, the slower one is an ERP system.  I may get around to investigating the hardware differences at some point, but its not a priority.