cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 usage scenarios for removable HDDs

davidvv
Not applicable

As described in TECH38839 several external HDDs can be used automatically (still connecting them manually), when providing unique drive letters to each of them. As detailed in „backup-exec-125-using-backup-disk-removable-usb-drives“, this can be accomplished with the program „USBDLM“, however there still seem to be reported difficulties.

- Is USBDLM adequate and can BE then handle external HDDs in the same way as one is accustomed with tapes?

- Apart from the handling accomplished by BE, what about the Windows USB-media-removal button in the notification area? (Can it be disregarded, when using (standard) synced USB mode?)

As I am unsure about the first method, there is an alternative method, equally acceptable for me, using external HDDs – however I don’t know, if it can be implemented:

The idea is that I need to have only the (current/most recent) backups of few days=backup jobs (e.g. last 2 days/backup jobs for sufficient redundancy) at a special vault / security container, i.e. for security reasons – but I would like to use a much more larger backup history for restore jobs, i.e. for conveniency.

Is it possible to implement this with a

File Server1 (visible to users) + BE (using File Server2 for backup-to-disc - one well-known share, capable of storing the backups of last month, thus avoiding any HDD swap problems)

File Server2 (invisible to users) + few external HDDs (server 2 will copy only the most recent backup to external HDDs, of course after BE on server1 has finished its job) that will be put to vault/security container over night.

In other words, is it possible to identify the most recent BE backup and copy it to an external HDD (without the knowledge of BE)? (If the case arises that only the copy of the HDDs in the security container is available, BE must of course be able to restore it)

Any guidance would be appreciated.

0 REPLIES 0