cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 Exchange Information store selection, one is blank the other is the Server Name

xcoder
Level 3

Hi People,

I have been running Backup Exec 12.5 and the Exchange Agent for close to 6 years without a hickup.

After the last restart of the media server the exchange backups are failing. When you browse the selections the two storage groups are wrong, normally the First and Second storage groups are listed, but the selection no has nothing against the first storage group and the second storage group has the servers name next to it.

Media server is running Windows 2008 Standard 64bit and Backup Exec 12.5.2213.175 - I have checked the MAPI32.dll requirements and dependancies which are correct. The beremote.exe is the same version on Media Server and Exchange Server.

Exchange Server is running 2008 Enterprise Server 64bit and I have also checked the MAPI32.dll version is the same as Media Server and dependancies etc.

There was an article from Symantec that appeared to address this exact issue but it is no longer available.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125832 : Backup Selection for Exchange 2007 Information Store, has some Storage Groups missing and/or a group as a "blank" name or listed as the "Server name"

The above was from the post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-infostore-missing-selection-list

Any assitance would be appriciated.

Lee.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Verbatim from TECH125832:

1.  On both the media server and the Exchange server, stop all Backup Exec services

2.  Add a DWORD value called MonadRpcTimeout in the Registry on the Backup Exec server and the Exchange server into the following location:

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

3.  Set the value of MonadRpcTimeout to 3600    (in decimal)

4.  Start the Backup Exec Remote Agent service on the Exchange server

5.  Start all Backup Exec services again on the media servers

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

VJware
Level 6
Verbatim from TECH125832:

1.  On both the media server and the Exchange server, stop all Backup Exec services

2.  Add a DWORD value called MonadRpcTimeout in the Registry on the Backup Exec server and the Exchange server into the following location:

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

3.  Set the value of MonadRpcTimeout to 3600    (in decimal)

4.  Start the Backup Exec Remote Agent service on the Exchange server

5.  Start all Backup Exec services again on the media servers

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What is the version of Exchange that you are running and the SP and CU?

xcoder
Level 3

Hi VJware,

Done.

Upon restarting all Storage Devices on the media server are Offline and Job Status is Ready;No media servers are available

If I right click and bring them online the Job Status stays at the above message.

Regards,

Lee.

xcoder
Level 3

VJware
Level 6

Do you see the selection list properly now post the registry change ? Try recreating the backup job.

Are the storage devices actually online ? Run an inventory to confirm.

If yes, then right-click the BE media server name from the Devices tab and choose "Pause". Click again to Unpause it after few seconds. Does the backup job run ?

xcoder
Level 3

Hi VJware,

I can now see the selection list as before.

The devices are 2 x Backup-to-disk folders and 2 x Tape Drives. The 2 x BTD folders are available in the OS and the 2 x tape drives are powered up and found by the OS. If I change the state to Online and run an inventory on a tape drive it reports in Job Monitor Ready; No media servers are available.

In the Devices Tab, I right click the Server and the top option is Paused (No Tick) - if I click this it throws an error 'Unable to pause ServerName' then it shows status of paused. While paused and I right click the Server, menu shows Paused at top (with a Tick Box) and when Clciked throws the error ' Unable to resume ServerName'

Regards,

Lee. 

VJware
Level 6

This was a known issue in BE 12.5

Pls uninstall the hotfix as per this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147733

xcoder
Level 3

Hi VJware,

In the workaround it Uninstalls the hotfix which I have done - I will need to restart the server after hours which will be in 5 hours time. It also suggests at the bottom of the article that 153394 be applied

For Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers apply HOTFIX (153394). See related documents.

Do I install 153394 ?

Please advise.

Lee.

VJware
Level 6

Yes. Do install HF153394 as well to prevent this issue from occuring in BE 12.5 in the future.

xcoder
Level 3

Thanks.

I will complete both tasks and report back.

Cheers,

Lee.

xcoder
Level 3

Hi VJware,

I have rebooted the server and installed the 153394 patch.

I can see both Storage Groups on the exchange server and all media selections are available on the media server.

I am currently running a Exchange Backup (to a BTD folder) and once the nightly Data backup to tape has completed I will give another reply.

Regards,

Lee.

xcoder
Level 3

Hi VJware,

All backups to the media server are working as expected.

Many thanks for your very prompt assitance during this issue.

Regards,

Lee.