cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 R2 Domain Controller - System State

NTElvin718
Level 2

Greetings all and thank you in advance for your help.

Since installing 2008 R2 SP1 in our organization backing up the system state of our DCs has ballooned from 30 min/210MB min to a whopping 4 hours/36MB min.  Size of the system states on each DC is 10GB.  This is a major issue because it's adding, roughly, 8 hours to my total backup time.  All other backup times/throughputs have remained the same for all other servers. 

My backup server is also running 2008 R2 SP1 and we are backing up to tape.  No changes were made to the job.

Any particular reason why this would happen? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

See the below mentioned article: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76051

Slow backup throughput is observed while backing up the System State of a Windows 2008 or 2008 R2 Operating System. The behavior is specific to the System State and other types of backups from the same system will operate at a normal speed.

Regards...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

See the below mentioned article: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76051

Slow backup throughput is observed while backing up the System State of a Windows 2008 or 2008 R2 Operating System. The behavior is specific to the System State and other types of backups from the same system will operate at a normal speed.

Regards...

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

This issue will be fixed in the next release of BE2010, stay tuned.

R3 will be released soon... 

NTElvin718
Level 2

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

NTElvin718
Level 2

For some very strange reason the problem seems to have corrected itself.  Since yesterday my backup times have gone back to normal.  I assure you I have not changed a thing, have not rebooted any servers, or installed any new software/updates.  My system state backups are running at 200MB/s again.  Very strange, but very good at the same time.