cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 server + VSS - very slow

Bryan_McDonald
Level 4

Setup is 12.5 rev 2213 on a windows 2008 32 bit standard, I'm testing backup of a new file server with the same OS.

A differential backup of some user home folders gave a throughput of 44 Mb/min.

Although the AOFO option is not selected on the job VSS is getting loaded and this is done as a snapshot diff. Other diffs on the same job (windows 2003 servers) don't load VSS.

If I disable the Volume Shadow Copy service on the 2008 file server the job throughput goes up to 462Mb/min.

Unfortunately with that service disabled I can't setup a job to do a system state backup.

Anyone know why 2008 calls VSS when 2003 doesn't need it, why it slows everything so much or how I can set up a full backup, with system state, and still get a decent speed?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

IanCh
Level 2

I have exactly the same problem !!

have been struggling with slow backups of the C drive and when i disabled VSS the speed shot up a massive amount.

Obviously with VSS disabled several files fail and we cannot do a full backup.

There has to be a reason for this ? how can we get server 2008 to only use VSS when it needs it rather than for the whole job ???

Bryan_McDonald
Level 4

I have just found knowledge base article 316763 (2 Jan 2009)  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316763.htm

This states " For all backups of Windows 2008 and Vista, VSS will be used to backup all file data, regardless of the AOFO setting. "   So totally stuffed if you are backing up 2008.

As file backup obviously works fine without VSS (and gives me 10 times the speed!) why am I forced to use it.  So the only way to get full system backup is to turn VSS on only for the system state backup then off so I can do the file backups at a sensible speed.

This product truly sucks

Not applicable
h i i have the same issue please let me know if any resolutions availabe for the same