Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 Backup over SAN with Hyper-V Agent

mwalker
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Is it possible to backup Hyper-V Guests directly over SAN as the Agent for VMware does (Transport Mode=SAN)?
It seems that some Symantec Employees tell so to several Customers....
There is no such Option in the Job Proberties, and I cannot find anything about that in the Documentation and the Knowledge Base.
My Tests shows that Data are definitly transported over LAN.

thx,
tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mwalker
Level 3
Partner Accredited
The answer from Symantec Support was clear and expected:

Hi Thomas,
    As far as the Hyper V option is concerned there is no direct way to use the SAN Mode to take backup (Please check the 
   attachment).In case of VMware agent it is possible to use the SAN MODE

The attachment shows only screenshots from the Job Proberties.

greetings,
tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You are right, for the hyper-v there is no optino to go to SAN in the job setting and only for ESX virtual machines for Vmware..

We could have thought of Pass through the vms to the SAN directly but that is not supported as per

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

mwalker
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I have also opened a case at "my support", and they called me the next day...it was strange because that Guy told me i should try the Setting =transport mode=SAN".
I said to him that there is no such option avaiable in the Hyper-V Settings.
Then he tried to find this Setting...after a few seconds he said, he will give me call or an e-mail next day...i'm still waiting.
When they give an correct statement about this, i will post it and mark this discussion as solution.
If somebody else can say something additonal about that, please make your statement.

mwalker
Level 3
Partner Accredited
The answer from Symantec Support was clear and expected:

Hi Thomas,
    As far as the Hyper V option is concerned there is no direct way to use the SAN Mode to take backup (Please check the 
   attachment).In case of VMware agent it is possible to use the SAN MODE

The attachment shows only screenshots from the Job Proberties.

greetings,
tom