cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 Deduplication & Tape backups?

MitchR
Level 6
I'm looking over the features of BE 2010, and have a question about Deduplication.

I found a discussion on the forums that seem to say that Deduplication only works for Backup To Disk, and not for Backup To Tape.  Is that right?

I have a robotic tape library, so lots of tape swaps for a restore isn't an issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
 All Dedupe solutions are disk based.
You will dedupe to a "deduplication Storage Folder," that supports up to 16TB of Deduped data.  Ideally this is local to the server via DAS or SAN.  

You can later export to tape for your offsite needs via policies or one-time jobs.

You NEVER want to dedupe to tape.  Recoveries will be painfully slow, it could take an entire day to retrieve just one 10MB file.  Your file would be split into smaller segments anywhere from 32KB to 1MB, then split amongst multiple tapes, and all the tapes would have to be searched, seeked, and data reassembled before you got to a recovered file.  Backing up to Disk, provides faster recovery than tape provides.  Tape is for DR purposes

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6
 All Dedupe solutions are disk based.
You will dedupe to a "deduplication Storage Folder," that supports up to 16TB of Deduped data.  Ideally this is local to the server via DAS or SAN.  

You can later export to tape for your offsite needs via policies or one-time jobs.

You NEVER want to dedupe to tape.  Recoveries will be painfully slow, it could take an entire day to retrieve just one 10MB file.  Your file would be split into smaller segments anywhere from 32KB to 1MB, then split amongst multiple tapes, and all the tapes would have to be searched, seeked, and data reassembled before you got to a recovered file.  Backing up to Disk, provides faster recovery than tape provides.  Tape is for DR purposes