cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[2010] Problems while backing up virtualized domain controllers?

xadox
Level 5

We are using Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 with AVVI. We are using two ESX v4.1 Update 1 servers with a vCenter Server v4.1 Update 1.

While Backup up a domain controller with AVVI (GRT disabled) I get an Error in the Active Directory log.

ActiveDirectory_DomainService
EventID: 1168

Internal error: An Active Directory Domain Services error has occurred.

Additional Data
Error value (decimal):
Error value (hex):
fffffbf8
Internal ID:
160207d1

15 REPLIES 15

Speedy1205
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hey,

which Operation System has this DC ? Can you checkout the following KB from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280364

When this error appears in the LOG after Job or while the Job is running ?

xadox
Level 5

which Operation System has this DC?

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

When this error appears in the LOG after Job or while the Job is running ?

Right after the snapshop creation.

Speedy1205
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hey Xadox,

can you test to make the snapshot manual in the VCenter ? Do you get there as well this Issue ?

In this time you can try to backup the DC with the Windows Agent (RAWS) and not over the VMware. We will see how this will go.

xadox
Level 5

can you test to make the snapshot manual in the VCenter? Do you get there as well this Issue?

Making manual backups with vSphere Client (with & without Quiesce guest file system) is working without the error.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In your virtual DC's is NTDS.DIT located in the default C: drive location or did you customize the Active Directory Install and place it on a different volume?

xadox
Level 5

It is on its default location C:\Windows\System32

But the Active Directory is replicated to a secondary virtual domain controller

Colin_Weaver

Ok so I think you need to do a Remote Agent System State back instead of an AVVI backup just to see if similar messages appear.

xadox
Level 5

The backup ot the System State through RAWS genereates many VSS Errors in the Windows Application Log (see attachment).

Edit:
The used user for the backup is in the domain groups users and backup-operator.

Colin_Weaver

Well ignoring AVVI for the moment, to backup the system state of a domain controller, Backup Operators does not give enough permsssions to get at the VSS writers - you have to use a Domain Admin.

Going back to AVVI if you were using the same account in teh AVVI credentials that might be your problem.

Speedy1205
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Yeah looks like Colin is right:

Fehler	16.02.2011 11:39:15	VSS	8193	Keine	"Volumeschattenkopie-Dienstfehler: Beim Aufrufen von Routine ""OpenProcessToken"" ist ein unerwarteter Fehler aufgetreten. hr = 0x80070005, Zugriff verweigert

Access Denied

You should try with an admin account.

Viel Glueck !

xadox
Level 5

After giving Domain-Admin rights to the backup user the backup of the System State with RAWS is working without an error.

Going back to AVVI if you were using the same account in teh AVVI credentials that might be your problem.

Backup with AVVI is done with a user account which is not in the active directory. But I can not understand why this also can be the problem because manual backup over vSphere Client is working like charm. The used backup user for AVVI has full Admin rights.

xadox
Level 5

Any news?

xadox
Level 5

Updating the domain controller OS with SP1 also did not resolve the issue.

xadox
Level 5

Somehow the error in the active directory log is only occuring after a fresh restart of the domain controller.

After the error occured it will not show up for the following backups. Thats strange.

John_Mason1978
Not applicable

Hi

did you manage to get to the bottom of this I am seeing the same problem with Virtual DC 2008 R2 and Backup exec 2010 R2

I am using only the backup exec remote client to backup the DC

My Backup fails with AD snapshot errors the above message in the event log, it also appears after rebooting the machine

Symantec are blaming MS and MS say it is symantec so I am some what stuck