cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 R3 Agent on a 2010 R2 Media Server?

TMIVA
Not applicable
Partner

Hi All,

I am currently in a pickle while we are migrating our customer from their old backup policies, to a new backup media server (with new, different policies).  Currently they are backing up everything on a Backup exec 2010 R2 Media server.  All the VMs are using 2010 R2 agents.  The new backup server is a 2010 R3 server, and we want to test the new backup policies on the VMs later this week.  I don't want to break any of the old backups just yet, so thought it would be wise of me to ask before I commence the agent update.  Would a 2010 R3 agent communicate/backup properly on a 2010 R2 Media Server (at least until our new media server is fully functional).  Otherwise, will a 2010 R2 agent backup properly on a 2010 R3 Media server?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Its always recommended to have the same version of Remote Agent as per the version of Media server.

Said that, if you have remote agent of R2 and Media server is R3 then it will still work for your files and folders backups. But if you are backing any applications like Exchange, SQL, etc then it will pose you problems during the backups and restore.

Also remote agent version of R3 and Media server as R2 will not work at all as the Media server will not be able to detect Remote agent of higher version.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Said that, if you have remote agent of R2 and Media server is R3 then it will still work for your files and folders backups. But if you are backing any applications like Exchange, SQL, etc then it will pose you problems during the backups and restore

Since when have one level back RAWS  not supported agent backups?

{edit:  added Sush's remark for clarity}

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ Ken: Not one level back remote agent, discussion is about one level higher remote agents than media server...

EDIT: sooo early in the morning... Realised a little late what you are asking about. Sorry Ken..

Thanks...

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Based on the BE 2010 SCL page 26 (

), a BE 2010 media server is able to support BE 12 agents but not for extended periods.

However, I dont think a BE 12 media server will be able to support BE 2010 agents.   

v-2gani
Level 3

Please refer to this technote :-

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163974