Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 R3 Archiving

DPackard
Level 2

Using BE 2010 R3

I would like to create a media set and backup job that:

1. Backs up all the data on a selected volume. (to a LTO3 tape library)
  2. Deletes all data from the source that is older that (730) days
  3. Has a (1) year retention
  4. That would perform the same back up function daily

So that on the media set I would always have the past (3) three years of data and every day the > (3) year data on the media could be over written and the data older than (730) day is removed from the source. Can this be realized by one back up job?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DPackard
Level 2

We're still working on this. Possibly the Symantec products are not the answer. We are currently working with DPM also. The ultimate solution will be similar to file stubbing.

All of your comments are appreciated

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Deletes all data from the source that is older that (730) days

You can set the Backup Method in job properties to Full-Backup and delete the files or Backup Exec Archiving option. But i am doubtful about the second part of your requirement. I couldn't remember any option to set delete files older than x days.

So that on the media set I would always have the past (3) three years of data

How you are calcuating this? With one year retention, you can have  1 year data only. 

and every day the > (3) year data on the media could be over written

If you are thinking about somethiing like overwriting some data on a particular media, sorry that is not possible. If i misunderstood your statement, explain it a bit better if you don't mind.

EDIT: With Archiving option, you can configure BE to archive files older than X days. As it is limited to disk only, you can configure a backup job to copy data and other valut store components ans databases to tape. You can also configure vault stores to delete files from original location after the vault store is backedup.

DPackard
Level 2

The media set retention would be 1 year overwrite protection

The >730 day would remove data not accessed for 730 days fror the source

The source would have all data accessed < 730 days (and backed up) plus the (1) year retention on the media would = 3 years , 2 years on line and  the third year near line for restore is needed.

I was thinking once the initail job runs, new and changed data would be minimal and appended to the media set.

Hopefully that makes sense, I appreciate comments. Is there a better solution. I am also testing 2012 at this time. It may have a solution with the ability of adding stages.

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes that makes sense... But for achieving "older than or not accessed" in last X days, you would be needing the archiving option and you would be needing sufficient amount of disk storage to use archiving option. You cannot directly backup the data to tape in this. 

With just  "delete files after successful backup" setting, you cannot achieve this requirement. It will just delete all the files in selection list after successful backup. No more customizations. 

DPackard
Level 2

We're still working on this. Possibly the Symantec products are not the answer. We are currently working with DPM also. The ultimate solution will be similar to file stubbing.

All of your comments are appreciated