cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 R3 Backup Exec

nate777
Not applicable

I'm trying to figure out what the best settings are for my Backup system. 

I want to be able to overwrite data on Disk's that were created from an older version of BE.

Do I have to reformat those drives?

Then going forward do I have to set the Media to Unlimited Backup?

Does Unlimited Backup mean I can always override the data currently on the Disk.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The media create on another backup server(it can be of older version or newer version ) would be shown as imported media , you can move the media to sctrach media so that they can be overwritten or to any other meida set .

IF the media is create by an old backup server and the server is upgraded then the media would remain in the same media set and will have the same overwrite protection period.

Go to too-options =media mangment

check the overwrite protection level , you can uncheck the option to prompt before overwriting imported media

You create media set so that you can define the time when the media can be overwritten so that you dont overwrite data acciently and media is rotated properly. I did not understand when what you mean by setting media unlimited

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The media create on another backup server(it can be of older version or newer version ) would be shown as imported media , you can move the media to sctrach media so that they can be overwritten or to any other meida set .

IF the media is create by an old backup server and the server is upgraded then the media would remain in the same media set and will have the same overwrite protection period.

Go to too-options =media mangment

check the overwrite protection level , you can uncheck the option to prompt before overwriting imported media

You create media set so that you can define the time when the media can be overwritten so that you dont overwrite data acciently and media is rotated properly. I did not understand when what you mean by setting media unlimited

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The media create on another backup server(it can be of older version or newer version ) would be shown as imported media , you can move the media to sctrach media so that they can be overwritten or to any other meida set

If you have chosen a Global Media Management setting of Partial, any media NOT created on this system will automatically be placed in the scratch media set once inventoried

While this will not remove data from them, they are immediately overwriteable (tho not appendable)  If moved into a  media set, they take on the OPP an APP as of the date/time of the move