cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Remote Agent fails when backup starts

simon1976
Level 3

We are trying to backup a remote server using BE2012 and the remote agent which includes the Applications and database agent.  The agent appears to have installed correctly and starts, however as soon as the backup server tries to backup data from it the agent stops, there are no errors in the event log as to why, all other remote servers are backed up sucessfully, so there must be something perculiar with this server.

Here is the error that the BackupExec server gives when attempting to backup when the agent is running: The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec server could not connect to the remote computer. Ensure that a Backup Exec agent is installed and running on the remote computer. If a Backup Exec agent is installed, ensure that it is the correct version.

If the agent is not running, then we can backup data in shares, but nothing else.

Backup Exec Server: Server 2003 R2 SP2, Backup Exec 2012 SP1

Remote Server: Server 2003 R2 SP2, MOSS 2007, as a virtual machine

Any ideas as to why just this one machine fails would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Simon,

The TN below might give you some idea of where to start looking:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73015

Also make sure that the correct port (port 10000) is open on any firewall that might be running, and if you have an AV on the server in question, check the logs and make sure it isn't perhaps blocking beremote.exe.

Thanks!

simon1976
Level 3

Thanks for the ideas, however still no joy I'm afraid, the only other problem might be is Endpoint Protection is seeing beremote.exe as a rogue process and stopping it, so far attempts to add it as an exception have been thwarted.  Has any one had any experience with EndPoint Protection (11.0.63 in this case) stopping one of Symantec's own processes?

Matt_Freestyle
Level 4

We use SEP and I havent seen it stop any BE processes, no. Are you backing the machine up through VRAY? Would that be an option? If you have VRAY edition I believe you get all of the agents that you need bundled in because the licensing is per host CPU..

thanks

Matt

David_Palmersto
Level 4

Simon1976-

We had problems with SEP 11 and BE2010 over a year ago and finally bit the bullet and went to SEP 12.1 (even more fun than this exercise with BE2012 has been) - we have NOT had any negative interation issues with BE2010 or BE2012 and SEP 12.1 since that time.

If Sym has not documented and 'fixed' any BE interaction problems in SEP 11 since June 2011, I'd expect that you are running into the same that we found and was 'fixed' with SEP 12.1

Our move to SEP 12.1 occupied us for 2-3 months of havock, but SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 seems to be going much smoother, but don't underestimate the manpower and time required to do that upgrade either...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

simon1976
Level 3

Thanks for all the ideas, I have a few things to try, we are looking at upgrading to SEP12.1 so as this is a virtual machine, I will snapshot the vm and then upgrade the anti-virus and see how it goes.  If/when I fix this or at least find a solution I will report back.